How To Wire Single Pole Light Switch with Pilot Light

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by chuck b, Dec 11, 2014.

1. chuck b

chuck b sea-bee

Switch to control one receptacle. Pilot light to illuminate when receptacle is energized.
    Have Leviton #5628-2T single pole "Decora style" switch.
    Circuit is dedicated to this one switch.
    BLACK (common) screw on one side of switch.
    SILVER (next to pilot light) on other side along with BRASS screw below on same side.
    BLACK and WHITE wires coming from electrical panel, and BLACK and WHITE to receptacle. Ignoring discussing bare COPPER ground wires which I will wire nut together and attach single copper wire to ground on switch.
    I know I am making it sound more difficult than it is but want to do it right. Thanks guys.

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I would presume the color coding is the same as this: [​IMG]

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. chuck b

chuck b sea-bee

Thank you!

5. chuck b

chuck b sea-bee

I do break that fin off correct?

6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Correction: You would break the fin and add a jumper if want the switch to control the light.

Thanks for catching my error.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  7. chuck b

chuck b sea-bee

Makes sense thanks again

8. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    With the tab, the pilot light would likely illuminate as long as there was power. If you want the pilot light to only illuminate when the switch is on, I think, then, you'd break the tab. It should be easy to test. The pilot light therefore, could be used for two purposes: one, to help you find the switch in the first place, or two, to warn you that the switch is on, energizing what may be a remote thing.

9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    To operate the pilot light when the outlet is energized, you connect the hot wire to the "black screw" on the right side of the drawing. The outlet is connected to the left side which is also where the tab would energize the pilot light. If you wanted the pilot light to be on when the outlet/light was off, you would wire it like the drawing, but connect the "silver" side of the pilot to the switched/hot lead to the outlet. The pilot would only illuminate when a lamp was plugged in and turned on.

10. JG Boston

JG Boston New Member

I have a slightly different switch.
    Leviton 1221-7PC 20-Amp, 277 Volt, Toggle Pilot Light

Slightly different layout. Line coming from panel to switch. Will this be wired in the same fashion to above?

[​IMG]

11. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

More than slightly different. Leviton 1221-7PC is a 3-way.
    [​IMG]I find the documentation to be lacking. I had supected the pilot light was wired internally between the white screw and another screw that I don't see in the documentation. You have the switch on hand. Do you see a screw beyond two brass, one white, one black and a green? Are there 6 or just 5 electrical screws?[​IMG] Does your switch look like this?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016