How to Winterize Sprinklers - What do I need?

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott Gibson

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I, like alot of people out there, would prefer to winterize my sprinkler system myself. I know I need to get a larger compressor than I currently have, but does anyone know what size is required? Also what extra fittings do I need to hook the compressor up to the backflow device? I'm a bit confused, as I've read mixed reports on whether or not you are supposed to blow it out through the backflow device. In my particular case, the only access point to the system is behind the backflow device (on the bottom of the piping, with the white cap from the pic). I've seen several You Tuber's do this, must be ok?

If someone can let me know, sure would be fantastic! Pics attached (sorry, I've rotated them several times, but they are still showing sideways!!!!). I'm not sure exactly where I would need to hook the compressor up here.

I have a total of 9 zones, and my max flow rate from my well is around 4.4 GPM.

Scott

Attachments

• Backflow 1.jpg
    Backflow 1.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 1,794
  • Backflow 2.jpg
    Backflow 2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 885
Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It's really no rocket science. Any size air compressor will work and three gallon units are low cost and great just to have around the home. This is one of my favorite compressors. I have one along with 30 gallon unit. The tricky part is how to get fittings connected to push the air through. While you are pushing air you'll need to operate all of the zone with the timer just do not put too much pressure such as 100 PSI. With the regulator on the compressor turn it down to around 60 pounds and keep the compressor running until you hear air coming out of the farthest sprinkler. To connect air to it sometimes all is needed is a standard spigot, an end cap and a fitting that you can clamp an air hose too.

http://www.sears.com/es/us/craftsma...SellerId=Sears&prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

prod_1415524512
upload_2017-10-11_21-0-32.png
b810cb89-4ebb-47f3-ab99-4c4ca0ec4f0c_145.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would think there would be lawn service companies in y0ur area that use commercial compressors to blow lines. They usually rent these for the few weeks in the fall. Costs a few dollars, but saves the purchase of a compressor and the fittings to connect to the system.

Magna111

Reaction score
Size matters when it comes to winterizing a sprinkler system. The more cfm you have the better. I'd recommended spending the money and having someone with a commercial compressor blowing the system out. You're going to feel pretty silly having saved $80 in the fall when you're writing a check for a few hundred in repairs in the spring. We have a few customers who use their pancake compressors to blowout themselves, some years they're fine, other years we are replacing a lot of components due to obvious freeze damage. A lot of what you're going to be able to get away with will depend on where you live and how bad your winter is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks