How to water test DWV?

Users who are viewing this thread

Webdood90

Reaction score
I have all of my vertical pipes capped except my laundry drain. I have a test plug that blocks the entire system from the existing drain.

There are 2 vents, 1 that connects to an AAV and one that connects to an existing vent that exits the roof.

I thought I could fill my system via the laundry pipe (my highest drain) and assert the system does not leak, but I'm reading conflicting information.

It sounds like I may need to fill it from the roof vent? In that case, would I need to plug the other side of the vent that services existing plumbing? is it ever possible to avoid filling from the roof?

And what about the air that is trapped in the system? I did a test run and the system didn't take as much water as I expected, but I suspect there is a lot of trapped air.

Over about an hours time, the water line I see in my laundry pipe has dropped maybe an inch or so, but there are no leaks. Is it the trapped air that is escaping?

Any guidance is appreciated, thanks all!

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
We use rubber caps or test plugs with hose bibb connections and can fill from any chosen location, then fill to overflow at roof or 10 ft. above newest work. In two story situation we use extra strap to prevent blowouts. We use these hose bibb caps to bleed air out at an AAV location before installing the AAV. AAVs must be permanently accessible.
Yes, you have to isolate other connected vents if they are too low and connect to the newly connected portion.

Webdood90

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

For context, this is a remodel. I've also already cemented all of my drains. Am I just SOL and need to cut them off to properly fill them?

I've attached an image of my vent on the right, behind the shower valve. (side note: my shower valve has been corrected to a PB valve)

That pipe exits the roof, the left side leads to the vent for my laundry pipe. The pipe that goes down is a vent for my kitchen below. I'd need to plug the kitchen side in order to test this, which doesn't seem ideal. My roof also has an extreme pitch which makes it difficult to reach this vent.

I'm wondering if the inspector would give me a break and let me fill it from the laundry and call it a day. They're impossible to get in touch with so I may just need to schedule the inspection and see what happens.

vent.jpeg

laundry.jpeg

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
The all rubber banded coupling does not meet code in that location, it needs to be the shielded type. You may be able to plug the WM box with a test plug (AKA dollar plug).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks