How to unscrew this cast iron joint

Users who are viewing this thread

Rag Muru

Reaction score
I want to replace this cast iron stack with PVC starting from the T.

How to unscrew this cast iron T adapter ? I believe it’s very old and is almost bonded with female thread.

Please advise. Thanks for your time and thoughts

233CE3E1-239A-47E9-9B2E-8CA19EE44ADB.jpeg

Attachments

• 779556D0-12AA-4BBE-BA4D-FA0EB8060DB4.jpeg
    779556D0-12AA-4BBE-BA4D-FA0EB8060DB4.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I am pretty sure that tee is not screwed into the elbow.

Try this as a search into the search box above:
drill oakum donut screwdriver

Support any thing above that you will keep before cutting the galvanized.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
What you have is a tapped Tee Cast iron the white pipe looks to be PVC try to unscrew it if it breaks use a hacksaw
blade cut the PVC pipe in 2 places use an old screw driver and pry out the middle of the two cuts

Rag Muru

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

@Sylvan , I want to remove the Tee Cast iron from the elbow.

@Reach4 , Thanks for the pointer. Is this video a good example ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for the pointer. Is this video a good example ?
Not at all the common method. It probably works, but the normal is to drill out enough lead in part to let you pry the rest of the lead out. Then you pick out the oakum. No heat involved. I have not done it.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ad-around-a-cast-iron-pipe-for-removal.85210/

I thought I would find videos and pictures. Anyway, drill out to turn some or all of the lead into swiss cheese. At various times, see if you can pick the lead out and maybe you will pry a whole strip out at once.

Take photos, and post successful intermediate steps.

Last edited:

Rag Muru

Reaction score
I tried yesterday,

first started with heating. 10 minutes into heating I realized the torch is less powerful for the job.

then I saw you mentioned in the post that I can do it without the use of heat by prying

My existing tools is not good for the job. I drilled couple of holes into the lead and gave up .

will try today again

what tools can I buy use for pry?

Reach4

Reaction score
My existing tools is not good for the job. I drilled couple of holes into the lead and gave up .
A couple of holes? Fatigue, or something else?

Lead is easy to drill, but the angle may be wrong for you . A longer bit can be useful. A drill bit extension may help. Cast iron is hard to drill, and you should not be trying to drill cast iron.

1/4 inch and maybe larger wold fit most situations I think.

For a pry tool, how about your old screwdrivers with the messed up tips? Maybe hit one with a hammer to shape to what seems useful.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks