how to test an outdoor CF light before hanging in up

Users who are viewing this thread

buffy3

Reaction score
I had an old metal halide security light that had a dusk to dawn photo cell on it. It broke and I found a barn style light that came from publix it does not have a photo cell on it . The questions I have is #1 how do I test the light to make sure it works before I have to get the big ladder out and mount it on the barn #2 can i take an old extension cord and wire it to the light to see if it works ( I can see something blowing up) #3 will it even work with the 110 wiring i already have for the old metal halide light#4 what type of photocell could I get to go with it. Thanks in advance

The new light is an industrial cf type 120-277 volts, .23-.10 amps , 50-60 hz use only 26 watts and is suitable for wet locations

Attachments

• phot01.jpg
    phot01.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 283
  • phot4.jpg
    phot4.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 308
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 282
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 280
  • photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 267

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Your pictures are confusing and not one of them is correct for the picture of the ballast. The 120-277 v is single phase only. Is photo 2 this fixture you want to hang? The ballast is for four pin compact florescent with three loop lamps. It's possible that this fixture had a lamp change after it left the factory or is it a new lamp fixture with a CFL lamp? It hard to understand your comments. The questions you are asking reads that you do not know what you are doing. So not to electrocute your self or cause a fire, get a new fixture and read the instructions. Just want you to be safe and not to ridicule your questions.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If you do have a new fixture you can buy any off the shelf photo cell. If there is room and you are good punching a hole about 1/2 inch on the bottom part of the base or arm it can be mounted their. If it cannot be done then you'll need to add another outdoor electrical box and mount the photocell there. But everything needs to be properly connected and crimped to minimize any shorts. You absolutely must ground the housing.

buffy3

Reaction score
If you do have a new fixture you can buy any off the shelf photo cell. If there is room and you are good punching a hole about 1/2 inch on the bottom part of the base or arm it can be mounted their. If it cannot be done then you'll need to add another outdoor electrical box and mount the photocell there. But everything needs to be properly connected and crimped to minimize any shorts. You absolutely must ground the housing.

buffy3

Reaction score
I guess looking back those pictures did not make much sense sorry for that. The 1st and 4th picture was the outside light I had prior. This lamp picture #2 and #3 are from the new light. This light was taken down from a PUBLIX and I bought from Habitat. I ended up checking it and wiring it with the existing wiring and drilling a hole in the building wall for the photocell. I think the lighting guy just had me confused on which outdoor lights needed to be converted because I do not know about different types of lighting. Thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks