How to tell if pressure tank is bad? Really fast drawdown

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnnyVirgil

Reaction score
Does this drawdown indicate a bad pressure tank? The pressure seems ok when you’re using it but with even a little load, the tank seems to deplete the pressure really fast. The pressure switch was replaced about a year ago, and the tank itself is about 25 years old and rusty on the outside which is why I thought it might be the culprit. I tapped the valve on top and air came out, so I assume this means the bladder is ok? of the gauge while it’s refilling a toilet after flushing.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah your tank is bad. Probable been bad for a long time. It is not rusting from the outside that destroys tanks but the pump cycling on and off that finally tears the bladder/diaphragm.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I tapped the valve on top and air came out, so I assume this means the bladder is ok?
I don't know where that misinformation came from. It is a dubious test. Since the valve is on top, the space above the diaphragm could be 95% water and still air will come out. You would have to turn the tank upside down so the valve is at the bottom to test for a bad diaphragm using that test.

A loss of air pressure is a good indicator but under some conditions, the air pressure can actually get higher. A drawdown test is much more conclusive.

JohnnyVirgil

Reaction score
Yeah your tank is bad. Probable been bad for a long time. It is not rusting from the outside that destroys tanks but the pump cycling on and off that finally tears the bladder/diaphragm.

I never heard of this cycle stop valve before but it sure seems like the way to go.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I never heard of this cycle stop valve before but it sure seems like the way to go.
Yeah, Cycle Stop Valves have been one of the best kept secrets in the pump industry for 30 years. It seems the industry really doesn't want you to know about a product that will make pumps last several times longer than normal while using a much smaller and less expensive pressure tank. :rolleyes:

JohnnyVirgil

Reaction score

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Anything with an original Cycle Stop Valve is a good deal. Lol! But here is one straight from us if you had rather.

JohnnyVirgil

Reaction score
Just wanted to stop by and thank you all for the help. I put the new tank in tonight and no leaks. I was worried about working with stainless steel but it went fine. Only two trips to the hardware store so I’ll consider it a win. :)

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am glad you got it working but sorry you could not find a Cycle Stop Valve at the hardware store. A couple of the big chain stores contacted me about putting the CSV on their shelves. I even made a couple CSV's in blue and orange for them to sample. After a few days of discussion the really big one said they were not interested. They said the CSV is a disruptive product that makes pumps last longer and use smaller pressure tanks. They understood that selling Cycle Stop Valves would almost completely eliminate sales of replacement pumps, tanks, pressure switches, check valves, control boxes, etc. There is no telling how many dollars worth of that stuff they sell to people who are unaware that cycling on and off is what destroys pumps and all related components. The hardware stores do not want to lose all those profits from the products on the pump isle, which is why they will not stock, sell, or even mention a Cycle Stop Valve. :mad:

Blero

Reaction score
@Valveman Thats really really sad Cary, previous year after reading about constant water pressure,searching over google i come across CSV, reading alot and how to install watching videos reviews from buyers etc. My cousin drilled a well 330feet and purchased new submersible pump that cost 600$ pedrollo 2hp.
So i adviced him explained how and what is csv how work. He always had problem with irrigation He listen to me and purchased csv in march this year. This week we called plumber to do some remodeling pipes the plumber dont had a clue what is this he wanted to install after filter thinking that is water pressure reduce valve :) i told him where csv should be installed. After he completed everything with pipes, we purchased new pressure switch because old one was limited i adjusted to 50/70 and CSV to 60 psi.
And after completed we started the pump and after that 4 water sprinkles for garden. All 4 sprinkles working at once without problem which never did before
He smiled i loved his joy and happines because now he dont have problem watering garden at once. Even the well is 160feet away from garden and lot of pipes underground.
The CSV is must have worth every peny. Constant watter pressure, saving pressure switch from on/off , check valve from opening closing everytime, extend pump life, electricity, tank and etc. I wanted to share my experience with you and everyone who come across this topic and forum from google or anywhere about CSV must have it you wont regret.
I will soon buy for myself csv125-1 for my house.

Best Regards
Blero

JohnnyVirgil

Reaction score
I am glad you got it working but sorry you could not find a Cycle Stop Valve at the hardware store. A couple of the big chain stores contacted me about putting the CSV on their shelves. I even made a couple CSV's in blue and orange for them to sample. After a few days of discussion the really big one said they were not interested. They said the CSV is a disruptive product that makes pumps last longer and use smaller pressure tanks. They understood that selling Cycle Stop Valves would almost completely eliminate sales of replacement pumps, tanks, pressure switches, check valves, control boxes, etc. There is no telling how many dollars worth of that stuff they sell to people who are unaware that cycling on and off is what destroys pumps and all related components. The hardware stores do not want to lose all those profits from the products on the pump isle, which is why they will not stock, sell, or even mention a Cycle Stop Valve. :mad:
Yeah thanks. I was going to order one and I called a plumber and my well company and they both said that I didn’t need one. I asked for details and the well guy said with just me and my wife in the house the pump would be going on every time we turned on the water so it was six of one half a dozen of the other as to which caused more cycles. He said for big draws like watering the lawn with both hoses going, the pump would be on all the time anyway and not cycling. So I just chickened out and bought a 36 gallon pressure tank instead since I was doing it myself and didn’t have to reroute anything that way.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Thanks Blero! I am glad you are able to get CSV's in Albania. That can't be easy as other countries do not make it easy for a US company to ship there.

Yeah thanks. I was going to order one and I called a plumber and my well company and they both said that I didn’t need one. I asked for details and the well guy said with just me and my wife in the house the pump would be going on every time we turned on the water so it was six of one half a dozen of the other as to which caused more cycles. He said for big draws like watering the lawn with both hoses going, the pump would be on all the time anyway and not cycling. So I just chickened out and bought a 36 gallon pressure tank instead since I was doing it myself and didn’t have to reroute anything that way.
I am sorry you let them talk you out of a CSV. Yes, the CSV is even more helpful on systems with heavy use like irrigation. But there is no reason people with lightly used pump systems shouldn't be able to enjoy strong constant pressure in the shower as well. The 36 gallon tank only holds 8 gallons of water. That really isn't large enough without a CSV. But with a CSV it is fine and more than you need. Adding a CSV is easy as you have everything else needed already installed. Just cut the pipe before the pressure tank or before any tees or hydrants and install the CSV and you will no longer even need soap in the shower. Lol!

I like it better this way. Like Blero's cousin, you can see the difference after the CSV is installed. People who have experienced the problems with the old pressure tank only type systems can immediately see the improvement after adding a CSV.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks