How to tell if a PEX (A) bend is too tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Todd Jamison

Reaction score
Hello,

I am in the process of installing Uponor Aquapex (with expansion rings) in my home.

I've been trying to eliminate as many elbows as possible by doing sweeping bends and using bend supports out of the walls.

I do have a few bends, however, that feel pretty tight, even with 1.25" holes bored into studs and joists. I made sure to keep the joist holes above 2" from the bottom of the joist as well.

My question is, how can you tell if a bend is too tight and might cause a problem eventually? I don't have any kinks in any of my bends, but I'm just a bit nervous about possible damage being done to the pipe from pressure against the bore holes on some of the bends...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_5986.JPG
IMG_5983.JPG
IMG_5987.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Uponor specs a minimum bend radius of 6 times the OD.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you've kinked the pipe, then it's too tight. If you're worried about abrasion over time, then slip something under the contact points at the drilled holes to protect the pipe. Something thin and slick, don't know what that might be, you might have to walk the aisles at HD.
The Type A is nice stuff. It bends tighter, and generally does everything better that the store-bought pipe. I enjoy working with it because it unrolls nicely, bends tighter, and goes together at the joints quickly and easily. You don't have to load up on couplings and elbows like you would with some of the other piping. If it were cheaper, it wouldn't hurt my feelings too much.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Doesn't look too tight to me...compare that to the bend you get if you use a bend support...not even close. The bend support just makes it neater and protects it a bit, but represents about the max you should use. The stuff does expand and contract with temperature, so you do want to protect it when things can rub, plus, don't you don't want it really tight.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks