How to tell a shower has properly instaled drain & trap? (picture included)

Users who are viewing this thread

Martin Semelak

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm no pro so sorry if there are any mistakes in terminology.
I'm about to rent an old house in Norway. The shower there looks as terrible as the smell which comes from the drain. The sink and toilet are ok.

Could you please advise if the drain in the picture looks altight and if the p-trap must be directly under the drain? The owner says there might not be any trap, but who knows if it's not somewhere below and if so, what kind of trap it is.
I can hardly move the shower because of the small water supply hoses coming from the wall.
Also, the hole around the pipe is horrible, I know.
Thanks in advance for replies.

Martin

A51559DD-C1E5-4D0F-AA15-F0A6FF8F6E65.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Looks like a floor drain or was a drain when the floor was the shower base. Here in the USA is easy to find a telescoping rod with a mirror on the end. It would allow a peak down the drain. The flange does seem to be made for the shower base and designed to be used this way but there should be a seal around that pipe at the floor for an air tight seal. Obviously the sewer gas is entering the room and that indicates no trap.
As you stated, if there is a trap below the floor is anyone's guess. I would not rent that place. What else could be wrong if this was not correctly done.

gearwrench-testers-install-kits-84086-64_400_compressed.jpg

Martin Semelak

Reaction score
Looks like a floor drain or was a drain when the floor was the shower base. Here in the USA is easy to find a telescoping rod with a mirror on the end. It would allow a peak down the drain. The flange does seem to be made for the shower base and designed to be used this way but there should be a seal around that pipe at the floor for an air tight seal. Obviously the sewer gas is entering the room and that indicates no trap.
As you stated, if there is a trap below the floor is anyone's guess. I would not rent that place. What else could be wrong if this was not correctly done.
Thanks for reply.
I'd love to peak down the hole, however I can't move the shower, unless I could stop the water supply and unplug the water tubes (this is far beyond my noob skills tbh) Also I'd need to remove the top part of the drain, but there are no screws, just two pairs of small lumps opposing each other, so I assume one needs a special tool for that.

Do you think the trap can possibly be far belew the floor, but the upper pipes contain the content that smells so much on it's own?
I read that the trap should be placed directly under the drain, but don't know if it's legal/allowed to put it elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The mirror tool could be used to reach from where you taken the picture to look down the drain. Might not be much to see.
The p trap would be directly below the drain before the pipe goes horizontal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks