How to tap new 2" washing machine drain into old steel pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

PlumboutofNecessity

Reaction score
This image shows the existing setup in the crawl space of my split-level house. Going into the top of that metal contraption is the 1.5" kitchen sink drain and off of the wye is the downstairs bathroom sink (also 1.5") right behind that wall (and no, it is not vented and I don't think the 1.5" kitchen sink pipe is allowed as a wet vent nor would that be allowed with a wye connection anyway - but, I digress.). Nonetheless, this is the situation as it stands.

I need to tap into this with 2" PVC from a clothes washer. I have no experience dealing with steel plumbing and I really have no idea what the best approach is to tackle this job.

Is that thing at the bottom of the metal 1.5" pipe a spacer? If I were to remove that pipe, could I remove that spacer and replace the whole thing with a 2" PVC wye? Or is that a no-go? If so, how do you connect PVC to the inlet of a threaded steel pipe?

Alternatively, that bottom pipe has has a clean-out with what seems to be a 3" plug. Should I unscrew that and somehow connect another clean sweep with a cleanout with a 2" connection on its top? Or is that a code issue? If not, like the question above, how do you connect PVC to the inlet of threaded steel pipe?

Also, cursory glance at Home Depot and Lowe's reveals no steel piping of any kind that is larger than 1.5".

These things I have no knowledge about.

Thanks for your help.

existing-plumbinb.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Last edited:

PlumboutofNecessity

Reaction score
Just to come back and say thanks. Pulling out the iron was a pain, but far from the biggest hassle I've had to deal with. Now it is clean, the 2" laundry pipe goes in there nicely. The Donut is my hero.

Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks