how to stop hot water going cold over long distance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ronnie

Reaction score
hi,
im a building services student and stumbled across this forum whilst researching for a project..

i've designed a system, but one part of the system involves a hot water pipe travelling a large distance, how can i stop the water from cooling?

normal lagging wont work, so what else? some sort of heat tape?

thanks for any help or suggestions you may have..

Ronnie

Reaction score
thing is, im already using a return line..
its a commercial building, has 2 wings, east and west..
plant room is in the east wing, so by the time the water travels from east wing to other side of west wing, its gonna be cold..

is there nothing similar to heat tape, or some sort of ******** trace heating?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If it is circulating at the proper rate, it will NOT be cold, unless it is not insulated at all, in which case you have a difficult problem to solve.

Ronnie

Reaction score
thanks for helping..
ok, not cold, but surely it would be at a reduced temperature? we're talking like a distance of 50 meters it's travelling from the storage tank..

i hope i havnt misunderstood what you mean.. basically, the hot water comes out of the storage tank, gets pumped and visits all the outlets (in this case hot water taps), and then returns to the bottom of the hot water tank, where there is a thermostat/pump set up, and then flows out of the hot water storage tank, mixes cold water input and enters the boiler..

bit like this without the boilers in series: (if you scroll to page11)

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:TE3jGUeEjIkJ:www.bosch.com.au/content/language1/downloads/comm_brochure.pdf+commercial+hot+water+systems&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjkf1twFlqwuSkihjIfrDyo2hwvg3WWJCBAqlOW0Qi-dPPtPvGcPmudbNV6FDsM-qMmwLmh9fJ7bnXnCyZnG_uh7ZDlknkzfOL27OJXIqBiQOgxNeKc7jTp4Y2aaz8XHC9ImhbA&sig=AHIEtbR7thrPvHz5oN7D_5KNLdRGSYSARw

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks