How to splice a hub'd wye into existing drain pipe?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Geekything, May 25, 2016.

1. Geekything

Geekything New Member

This is probably a dumb question for the pro's....but here goes.

I have a horizontal 3" drain that I need to connect a toilet drain into. The existing train won't budge at all on either side and the access to it is VERY restricted.

I need to install a 3" hub'd wye (because I've already read the chapter about not using a tee). If I cut the pipe so I can insert the wye, there won't be enough pipe protruding into the wye's hubs to allow for glueing (obviously).

How does one proceed? I can't seem to find a flexible collar wye -- only tees.

Thanks!

2. Smooky

Smooky In the Trades

Why don’t you cut short sections of 3” pipe and glue into the hubs. Cut the horizontal section so the new section will fit close. Then attach the wye with short sections of pipe to the existing horizontal pipe with banded fittings.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Fernco-3...-Cast-Iron-to-PVC-Steel-Extra-Heavy-Cast-Iron

You might be able to save a little bit of space by using 3" PVC DWV Street Wye.
    http://www.supplyhouse.com/Spears-P602-030-3-PVC-DWV-Street-Wye?gclid=CNfOj9Pb9swCFQckhgodSYsAbQ

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Geekything

Geekything New Member

Okay, so banded couplers are the way to go? I'd wondered about that but it seemed a little too MacGyver-like to be the professional route :)

Thanks for the tip on the street wye...that would definitely help.

5. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    You CANNOT just "cut a Y into the line" to install a toilet. You also have to consider HOW you are going to vent it.

6. Geekything

Geekything New Member

I have an existing vent from the original toilet. I'm moving the toilet across two joists and need to tap into the drain at a different point because of that. Moving the vent will be a piece of cake versus the drain.