How to solder stub out support strap

Users who are viewing this thread

Daniel A

Reaction score
What's the usual way to solder stub outs and straps together like the one pictured. I started out with the torch but chickened out. I started to worry about the point where the pex meets the copper stubout (it's a wirsbo connection). Will that joint be ok with the heat from the torch several inches away? I'm assuming it's best if the lines aren't pressurized? Can someone layout a step by step procedure?

Thanks.

IMG_1038.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
You should solder the the copper pipe to the Holdrite bracket before putting the PEX tube on the fitting.
If you can't do it that way for some reason, then wrap a cool wet rag around the pipe above PEX and only heat the pipe (not the bracket).

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you have water inside of the pipes, you will never get it hot enough to solder anything ...you'll end up with either a cold solder connection, or none at all. IF you've already filled the pipe with water, it might be hard to drain it out, too, with the capped end (think straw with your finger over the end). If you have any slack in that pex supply line, you can cut it off and redo it after you solder the pipe support. Be careful not to score the fitting in the process.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Bam. That's the sound of my buttcheeks establishing contact with each other when I saw that wood lath plaster in your photo. I'll be borrowing an Ambien from my wife to get to sleep tonight.
As far as your question goes, you've got nothing to worry about.

Daniel A

Reaction score
Ok. I'll do the wet rag and do my best to drain the lines then go for it.

What is it about the lathe and plaster that caused the reaction fullysprinklered??

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pet peeve, Dan. I tore out a cubic mile of that stuff when I first started working for a remodeling outfit in N Georgia, many moons ago.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
You may want to unscrew the bracket from the stud and pull/prop it out some so you can get a good wrap on the pipe and to keep the torch away from wood.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks