how to solder copper pipes right up against sheating

Users who are viewing this thread

markrvillalobos

Reaction score
hello
I just bought an investment property and am discovering all sorts of fun in the way of burst pipes. I finally located a burst pipe in a wall in an exterior wall that has very little insulation. The building is frame construction and the pipes are only a couple inches from the old, dry exterior sheathing. What is the best way to solder copper pipes that are so close to combustible old wood?

After I fix the pipes what is the best way to insulate the pipes- foam wrapped around the pipes plus putting fiberglass between the exterior walls and the pipes? Would spraying spray foam help or just make a mess?

thanks,
Mark

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've had good luck with a #10 can with both ends removed and the side split. It's not pretty, but it works. If I was a pro, I'd likely buy a shield, but for an occasional joint where protection is needed, this works fine.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Along with the heat shield spray some of this product on the surrounding wood. It works great.

John

la-co-flux.jpg

Laco Flux
La-co

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
To demonstrate the anti heat gel, the Laco rep sprayed it on a $100.00 bill and then held a match to it. DO NOT let it get on the pipe you are trying to solder however, because it will also repel the heat at the solder joint.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks