How to shut this gas valve off

Users who are viewing this thread

sspeed

Reaction score
I've never seen a gas valve like this and can't find any info online. How does this shut off? There seems to be a set screw and a thru-bolt. Tried loosening both the set screw and the thru-bolt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that thing to the right your gas meter? Is that valve before the meter? I suspect that screw in the gray area is actually serving as a peg to limit the turning to 1/4 turn. But I am not sure. I expect this is something the gas company would help you with, at no charge. I am thinking that is probably their valve.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Usually, you just need to turn it. That stem probably had a cross-bar on it to make it easier without needing a wrench. Keep in mind, though, that typically, the piping before the meter is the gas company's, and they don't like you playing with it! On the type used where I live, you can turn it off with a pair of pliers, but you need a special tool to turn it back on.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is a cast iron "plug valve" the bolt is used to squeeze grease around the plug to lubricate it. If that is the valve ahead of the meter, call the gas utility company to turn it off and maybe replace/repair it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks