How to seal water line on outside to prevent leak into basement

Users who are viewing this thread

GoshenPlumber

Reaction score
This post is similar to a question I posted a few months ago. However I have some new questions with which I would appreciate help.
See attached drawing for reference.

My 1 inch plastic water pipe from the utility comes through the basement wall inside an 8 foot PVC sleeve which runs underneath the front porch. The sleeve runs **downhill** (unfortunately!!) from the front of the porch to where it enters the basement wall. In the basement, there is GE Silicone II caulk in the space between the inside of the sleeve & the outside of the plastic water pipe to prevent any water in the plastic sleeve from leaking into the basement.

NOTE: The caulk seal originally lasted for 10 years without any leakage of water into the basement.

Recently I had plumbing work done in the basement & I had to re-caulk the space between sleeve & plastic water pipe with GE Silicone II caulk. This caulking job only lasted 3 months when it started to leak drops of water. I was able to confirm that the caulk was no longer properly adhering to the plastic water pipe & water was leaking where the caulk met the plastic water pipe. Thus the silicone caulk was no longer adhering to the plastic water pipe.

NOTE: There is very little space between PVC sleeve & plastic water pipe, probably not enough space into which to inject expandable foam? Also note that the plastic water pipe is **not** centered in the middle of the PVC sleeve when it enters the basement. There is a 1/32 inch clearance between the bottom of the plastic water pipe & PVC sleeve.

I want to fix this problem by one of two methods:
(1) Inside the basement: Re-caulk the space between PVC sleeve & plastic water pipe.

(2) Outside the basement, seal the space between PVC sleeve & plastic water pipe. This would require digging approx. 3 feet down to the water piping.

I realize that method #2 is a more permanent solution. But method #1 worked for 10 years before I had to re-caulk, so I would first like to try method #1.

QUESTIONS :
(1) For method #1: Is there a better material besides GE Silicone II 100% caulk that can be used to seal between the sleeve & plastic water pipe? Would "Plumbers GOOP" be better? A plumber mentioned that there is some type of rubberized cement that has the consistency of putty that can be used (he will be getting back to me on the actual name of this material) - any thought on this?

(2) For method #2: How can I permanently seal the space between PVC sleeve & plastic water pipe outside the house? If I caulk this space, won't I have the same problem that I am having in the basement?

Thank you for your help!!!!

Attachments

• How to seal water pipe through basement wall.JPG
    How to seal water pipe through basement wall.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 849
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks