How to seal up / decommission old well piping coming into crawl space

Users who are viewing this thread

Too Ambitious

Reaction score
Forgive me if this is a stupid question. I'm a city boy and have never even seen well equipment before moving to this house.

My house used to have a well (who knows how long ago), but is now on city water. I have had the last remnants of the well equipment removed and disconnected from my plumbing system. (I haven't been able to locate the actual well.) All the wires and pipes seen here are cut and not in use. I am planning to insulate and encapsulate my crawl space. Is there any danger in cutting this all back flush? How can I seal this up so I can insulate over it?

IMG_5336.jpeg

Too Ambitious

Reaction score
Is that just a conduit for pipes and wires, or is that the well? How deep is it?
I'm not sure. This is heading out a foundation wall directly under my concrete slab driveway, so I would assume it is just a conduit. The rim joist is visible in the photo, so it's at most a foot underground where it enters the crawl space. But like I said, I haven't found the well. It's also possible that some of these lines are from an old oil heat system. We had an abandoned UST removed.

I have found unexplained metal piping running parallel to that fence in the image, but not a well. Nobody has been able to explain these pipes. I asked the plumber who removed the pressure tank, and the person who inspected the UST. They are heading away from my house towards my neighbor's property. House was built in the late 1950s.

well-pipe-ust.jpg

Green arrow is approx where the large pipe is coming into the crawl space. Blue line is the exposed part of the pipe, with the cross line representing the cap. Red is where the UST was located. The shaded part is my concrete driveway.

View attachment 77130

Is it possible that it was a shared well on neighbor's property?

edit: fixed map

Attachments

• IMG_6659.jpeg
    IMG_6659.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks