How to Scientifically Locate Ground Water - Prior to Drilling?

Users who are viewing this thread

RogerPDX

Reaction score
Who knows the best method of figuring out "where" the water is, under the property?

Has anybody successfully used the groundwater location services of Aqua Locate? ( aqualocate.com)

It would seem that the State Ecology Services would have aquifer information that can be used to
point these type people in right direction.

There has to be a more scientific method of locating where to drill, than 'just drilling'.

Does anybody know about this?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Some people swear by “witching”. However, the only dry holes I ever drilled were “witched”. Seismograph and Gamma rays can tell you a little about the formations, just not about the water. Well logs from the closest wells to you are a good reference. But you still never know until you drill a hole and pump some water out. We would drill several test holes and ream out the best candidate.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is no way to scientifically find water, oil, gas or anything else under the earths surface. Some things can be one to minimize the risk, but the only REAL way to find water is to drill for it especially in areas where the water is produced from fractures in the rock.

What Cary means is to drill a series of slim (2"-3" holes, pick the one that gives up the most water and then bring in a bigger machine and ream that particular well to 6". It's a good idea, but probably not cost effective unless you're a municipality or commercial farmer.

RogerPDX

Reaction score
There is no way to scientifically find water, oil, gas or anything else under the earths surface. Some things can be one to minimize the risk, but the only REAL way to find water is to drill for it especially in areas where the water is produced from fractures in the rock.

Water is so scarce out here, that to "just drill a hole" is like going to Las Vegas. I know there are parts in the country where a person can point to the ground and get water - but not here.

Reach4

Reaction score
If AquaLocate can do the Reflection seismology that is used successfully at large cost for finding oil and gas to find water at a reasonable price, that would be nice. I am thinking that if they were successful at that, it would become widely recognized. Reflection seismology is successful in oil and gas, but at great cost.

Last edited:

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ask him if he is a hydro geologist, a geologist, or if he has any geological training at all. The answer will be......wait for it........uh no.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, I have met him and some of his predecessors. It's impressive looking equipment. However none of the people that have bought or promoted this in the USA have any geological background or credentials that I have seen.

This doesn't mean that his equipment doesn't work. But do they have the experience or qualifications to interpret the readings they take?

I can run an E-log on a well, but I am completely unqualified to interpret it. If you need a video or deviation survey run, I can do that, and can tell the customer what I'm seeing and what it means.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've known Lynn for probably 15 or 20 years. They quit drilling a number of years ago and focused exclusively on Hydrofracing. They cover a four state area, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana. They have more experience than anyone else in the Pacific Northwest.

The majority of the rock wells that I drill are basalt, which is an igneous rock, and sandstone, which is a sedimentary rock. Neither of these are especially conducive to being fracced. Granite is usually the best candidate for rock type for fraccing. This is because of how the fractures occur in granite, compared to the previously mentioned rock types.

In answer to your question, no I have not personally had Lynn frac any wells for me, but I know of numerous wells that he has successfully fracced and improved. He is definately the most knowledgable person about fraccing in the Northwest. I wasn't sure if he was still Hydrofracing wells. He has had his equipment for sale for a while now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks