How to sanitize house plumbing system with chlorine bleach

Users who are viewing this thread

Brill0724

Reaction score
We’re getting a slight sulfur smell from our water system. Had the water tested by the county and came back good-no need to sanitize the well. While shopping for a new conditioner one of the sales reps said we could sanitize the plumbing system by introducing chlorine bleach through our unused filter holder and leave it in the system for 4 hours before flushing. Do you do both the hot and cold? Do you do them same time or separately?How much bleach do you add? Will the bleach damage the water softener-unused filter holder is ahead of the conditioner?

Reach4

Reaction score
I would sanitize the well anyway. The county did not test for SRB, or IRB, or a bunch of other stuff. They only tested for coliform bacteria.

The county only tested for coliform bacteria. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my write-up for top feeding wells with submersible pumps.

So I would do hot and cold at same time, with the softener bypassed, and limit the concentration the softener resin sees. But also sanitize the brine tank too.

Smell-wise, how does the smell on your hot water compare to the cold?

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
We’re getting a slight sulfur smell from our water system. Had the water tested by the county and came back good-no need to sanitize the well. While shopping for a new conditioner one of the sales reps said we could sanitize the plumbing system by introducing chlorine bleach through our unused filter holder and leave it in the system for 4 hours before flushing. Do you do both the hot and cold? Do you do them same time or separately?How much bleach do you add? Will the bleach damage the water softener-unused filter holder is ahead of the conditioner?

Install a peroxide injector on the whole house (cold) side. That way both hot and cold benefit from the injector. Your odors are caused by bacteria in the water. You can find cheap peroxide injectors for under $200. I like that ones that both inject and pre-filter the water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks