How to replace Moen shower cartridge

Users who are viewing this thread

abby_diy

Reaction score
There is no hot water in the shower. I do have hot water in the sink, so I know something's up with the cartridge. At least, that's what everyone says. I followed Moen's instructions to replace 1222 cartridge but no success so far. I recently moved into this house, so I am not very familiar with the plumbing.

I was not able to access the retaining clip, so I removed the escutcheon plate. However, the retaining clip is still blocked by the base plate of the escutcheon plate (see the attached image). The retaining clip gets blocked by the white plastic plate and the white plate seems to be attached/soldered to something behind the tub wall. I am at a loss here so would appreciate any DIY pros offering any advice. Thank you so much!

retaining_clip.jpeg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
That white plastic plate is for tiling only and should have been removed before the finish wall was completed. You can cut out the tab just above the clip. If it is still blocked just cut out what you have too. It serves no function.

A hint to remove the cartridge. They can be a bitch to get out. If you have the tool press very hard and work the tool clockwise then counterclockwise. (wiggling). You'll notice the nylon portion sits in a v shape grove. Twisting the cartridge back and forth allows it to work itself up the grove until the cartridge comes out. If your real good it can be done with a pair of pliers. When it comes out the rubber seals on the side of the cartridge may rip apart. Be sure the valve body is clean of any debris.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Mini hacksaw to cut out some of the plastic backing.
Once the clip is out, and if it's stubborn, they do sell a puller at the hardware stores in the plumbing tool section.
WorthFlorida has good tips. Most of the time that's enough.

moen-cartridge-puller-2.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Besides being real good , it's best to be real lucky as well! There is an excellent thread on working on these that is better and more inclusive than a single post . Its under professional and DIY in the forums and the very first thread has everything there is to know about pulling Moen cartridges!

Grinch

Reaction score
Pulling this cartridge was my housewarming gift from my "new" house 4 years ago.
No hot water, just like yours.
A real pain to remove, took me hours and when I went to the hardware store to buy a replacement
with the mangled cartridge in hand,the clerk must've felt sorry for me as he processed the sale as a warranty replacement.....free!
A real small town, he knew I was the "new guy" from Ottawa that bought Earl's house!
Saved me $60 Cdn.

abby_diy

Reaction score
That white plastic plate is for tiling only and should have been removed before the finish wall was completed. You can cut out the tab just above the clip. If it is still blocked just cut out what you have too. It serves no function.

A hint to remove the cartridge. They can be a bitch to get out. If you have the tool press very hard and work the tool clockwise then counterclockwise. (wiggling). You'll notice the nylon portion sits in a v shape grove. Twisting the cartridge back and forth allows it to work itself up the grove until the cartridge comes out. If your real good it can be done with a pair of pliers. When it comes out the rubber seals on the side of the cartridge may rip apart. Be sure the valve body is clean of any debris.
Thank you, good sir!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wait Wait Wait! That white plastic sometimes is used to hold the shower valve in place against the fiberglass shower panel. Only remove enough of it to remove the retaining pin..

Do Not Drop that pin down the wall. Tie a string or wire to it first then pull it out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks