How to repair leaky outdoor water shutoff valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

garagejunkie

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I went to turn on the outdoor water supply for the summer only to find that the valve is dripping. I suspected it would leak because its over 30 years old. The packing nut looks like it has been tightened before, but i think i would much rather replace rather than repack the nut. It is a stop and waste valve. I attached a few images showing what im working with. I'm not sure what to do because the valve is so close to the wall and in tight quarters. Doing a quick search online, others have replaced with a compression valve or soldered in a quarter turn. What do you guys think i should do in this situation and what valve should i put there? Thanks, Kyle
DSC02570.JPG
DSC02572.JPG
DSC02575.JPG
File_001.jpeg
File_003.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
I recently had a 3/4 multi-turn valve leaking at the stem. I removed the pressure, removed the knob, I remove the packing nut, wrapped a few turns of 3/32 in. Valve Packing string around the base of the stem. I chose the white, which I think is largely PTFE. I restored the packing nut, and the knob. No more leak.

garagejunkie

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I know i could restore the packing nut, but im also looking for a suggestion on how to go about replacing the valve being that its so close to the wall. @Smooky, i actually saw that video before i posted here, but would like further input on the compression fitting vs solder.

garagejunkie

Reaction score
Update: Shut off the water and restored the packing nut. The handle wouldn't come off so i just opened the valve, loosened the nut and pushed it up as far as i could and then wrapped new graphite packing one and a half times around. I pushed the packing up as much as possible, finger tightened, and then tightened 1/2 turn more with a wrench. Turned on water, no more leak.

I consider this temporary and am still open to suggestions on how to reconfigure the plumbing in that area.

garagejunkie

Reaction score
Good fix.

Not sure why you feel you should replace that valve?

Its old plus im going to replace the old washer gate valves soon in the same room. Wanted to replace it with a quarter turn, but if i don't get any feedback then i might just leave it alone for now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks