How to repair Goulds deep-well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

BrianB_NY

Reaction score
Background: We have a dug well with a perforated concrete tank. Had a Goulds 10GS05422 pump in it set about 8 feet down. Pumps up to house about 350 feet away, about 20 total vertical feet.

We are in extreme drought in our section of NY and the water table dropped and well level went below pump intake. I had about 1100 gallons of water delivered but the pump wouldn't pump anymore even though water was 12" above the top of the pump.

Water guy came back (he drills as well as doing bulk water delivery) and put in a refurbished pump (similar Goulds pump) for about 1/3 buying new. Been putting water in myself 200 gallons at a time with a tank on my utility trailer for about 3 weeks now. Well, I didn't check it for a couple days and level got too low. Add water, no pumpy action. So, I replaced with a "cheaper" unit from the local store to get us going and adding water 200 to 400 gallons a day to get tank filled up.

So my question: I have these two 10GS05422 pumps. I took one of them apart and the impellers look fine. This pump is built with about 7 impeller assemblies stacked up inside. Everything looks good, so I don't understand why it didn't pump. Has anyone repaired these before? What do I look for?
20160924_155402[1].jpg

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the motor runs then you need to look at the shoulders on the impellers. Are they worn? Too much wear will decrease the efficiency and the pump won't move water.

I can't tell for sure, but it looks as though the hex bore in that one impeller is worn, if it is, the shaft is just spinning.

You might want to check the splines on the coupler between the wet end & the motor for excessive wear.

Last edited:

BrianB_NY

Reaction score
The motor itself runs just fine. Putting a friction load on the end of the motor shaft with a board just rips it out of my hand. If the motor was bad and I took the pump apart, then I would have to ask for a refund on my engineering degree, lol.

As far as the hex bore - those are all in good tight-fitting shape - maybe 2 degrees play. Definitely not rounded at all. You're seeing staining in bad lighting.

One thing that wasn't clear to me is what prevents the outer metal section of each impeller disk pack from spinning inside the housing.

Also, what prevents water pressure from going back under the impeller instead of up to the next impeller assembly?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The bowl won't spin unless there is excessive drag from the impellers and you would see where the bowls transferred heat on the outside of the stainless shell.

If the shoulders on the impellers aren't worn, look for a worn out coupler between the motor and wet end.

Also, these pumps really require water over them to work well, no water or poor hydraulic advantage and the pump won't work properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks