How to reopen a dormant well

Users who are viewing this thread

Joseph G

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I had an active well up until a week ago. Problems with the water (rust staining, iron ochre, sulphur) made us switch to municipal water, which we love now. I was allowed to keep the well, pump and pressure tank as long as i keep it isolated from anything fed by the municipal water. It's currently connected to 1 hose spigot in the basement and 1 hose spigot outside. That being said, it will be used very infrequently now. 2-3 times a year at best.

So my question is, in the event of some major disaster where the county can no longer provide water for an extended period of time, what steps do i need to take to make that water potable? I did a quick internet search and it says everything from just using it to letting it run for 2 hours to chlorinating it after checking its ph level.

Anyone have an experienced answer? I know its unlikely to happen, but it could. I would like to find out this info before I need it.

Thank you so much in advance,

Joe

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I hate that your water isn't good quality coming straight from the well. But once you test the water and get the right filtration system it will be the same as the city water as that is what they have to do. You are right to keep the well as counting on the government is never a good idea and getting worse everyday. Do a water test, then post in the softener forum for some help on filtering.

Joseph G

Reaction score
Thank you Valveman,

I had a water test done a few years ago. It had a ton of iron ochre, iron, sulphur, manganese. tds was off the charts. I have a tds meter and it was reading around 600 ppm. I was recommended a spin down filter, chlorinator, holding tank, dechlorinator, softener and whole house filter. We did that and the water broke the equipment in a few years. there is no helping this well and at this point we dont want to. However no harmful bacteria was found.
I don't trust the gov't which is why the original question. If i leave this well dormant for a few years or have minimal usage on it, what do i do to put it back in service should disaster strike?

Reach4

Reaction score
https://www.epa.gov/ground-water-and-drinking-water/emergency-disinfection-drinking-water

Note that liquid chlorine bleach has a shelf life, but the solid alternatives I think are long-lived. So keeping some buckets and measuring tools, and solid chlorination tablets or granules seems like plenty for your emergency needs.

Chlorine + time will settle out iron and be rid of H2S.

There is very unlikely to be anything pathogenic from a deep well. But I understand you want to be extra cautious.

Will you be able to get water from the well if the electricity goes off?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks