How to Remove this Rusty Toilet Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

McHowsh

Reaction score
Hello Friends! I need good advice for proper method of removing this flange. The cast iron flange seems to rotate freely around the pvc insert, but the insert itself is glued to the waste pipe. How can I get that off without damaging the pvc waste pipe?

I was going to try the repair flange thingies that you just slide underneath the existing flange, but I can't slide them under given tight fit with the tile. Besides, this flange is so rusty I'd rather install a new one.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Brian
IMG_4191.JPG
IMG_4194.JPG

MKS

Reaction score
The ring spins so you can glue the fitting in first then rotate the cast iron flange where it belongs and secure it to the subfloor.
It doesn't look that bad.
Removing it requires a special auger/drill bit.

Flapper

Reaction score
Do you want to remove the whole flange or the metal ring?
You can remove the metal ring and replace it with a new stainless steel one.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I don't see anything much to be concerned about, but if I were going to remove it I would be interested in the accessibility from below.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Cacher Chick is of course correct. Just drop two wax rings on there and install your new toilet. If you want to position the ring to a fixed position, shoot a screw into one of the screw holes. Just remember to aim it properly. I have seen more than one where the wrong part of the slot is positioned at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Quote; I don't see anything much to be concerned about,

I would be very concerned about the left slot having rusted COMPLETELY away so the bolt will either be loose NOW, or soon afterwards.

McHowsh

Reaction score
Do you want to remove the whole flange or the metal ring?
You can remove the metal ring and replace it with a new stainless steel one.
Hi Flapper, appreciate the question! If I can replace the ring and leave the flange, I'll do that. What is best way to remove the ring? And will I have issues inserting a new ring given limited space between existing ring and tile?

McHowsh

Reaction score
Cacher Chick is of course correct. Just drop two wax rings on there and install your new toilet. If you want to position the ring to a fixed position, shoot a screw into one of the screw holes. Just remember to aim it properly. I have seen more than one where the wrong part of the slot is positioned at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock.
thanks for the reply! I guess I'm one of those DIY'ers that always goes above and beyond...never taking shortcuts or hoping things will be good. If I see something nearly rusted out I like to replace it. Must be my OCD. ;-)

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Cut the ring off and slip a repair ring into it's place so that you will have 2 good t-slots for the new bolts.

If the subfloor is good, you could install an anchor bolt into the floor instead of replacing the ring.

closet_wood_screws.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks