How To Remove Stuck Brass Ferrule From Cast Iron Hub?

Users who are viewing this thread

NYCpro

Reaction score
The ferrule itself was cut it out for access. Most of the lead and some oakum pried out. Still stuck solid. Any tips will be appreciated.
upload_2017-7-7_18-45-23.png

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Until the lead is removed, it's going to be hard. Normally I can pry the lead out with a flat blade srewdriver after I've wasted a drill bit or more on the lead. With the lead gone, the oakum comes out. You might have to resort to a torch.
I would try prying with pliers first though.

Reach4

Reaction score
How about a sawsall making a kerf into the brass at the top. Then cold chisel on top of the brass on one side of the kerf, trying to bend or break the brass in.

This would be after removing as much lead as you can.

Another idea: drill a couple holes into the top of the brass at an angle inward. Stick a couple of Phillips screwdrivers into the holes and push the handles. The point would be to use the screwdrivers to pry outward.

NYCpro

Reaction score
Thank you, all, particularly Plumber69 for his needlenose pliers advice--very helpful!
upload_2017-7-11_18-57-14.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks