How to remove shower knob that doesn't have center screw

Users who are viewing this thread

johngentle

Reaction score
I have a Danze shower control that needs a new cartridge. I have located and removed the set screw from the bottom but after years of use i guess the knob is stuck. I saw plenty of pullers that pull if off by putting a tool on it BUT that requires a center screw to work. This one has no center screw, so therefore nothing to mount the toll on. Any suggestions on what to do there? I have pulled and pulled and it is stuck good.

johngentle

Reaction score

Attachments

• faucet.jpg
    faucet.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 297

johngentle

Reaction score
i have. i have tapped on it with a mallet. i have poured CLR in it, etc. i was hoping there was another tool out there that could pull it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is, it is called a "crowbar" under the rim of the handle pressing on a block of wood across the trim ring. Pry in all four directions, left/right, up/down, in sequence.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
The corrosion build up has created a seal. You need to crack that seal, you might cause some damage to the surrounding area, but once you crack the seal, the handle will come off. Don't worry if you damage the old cartridge stem.
Worse case, replace the faucet. If you go down that road, post again. Sometimes replacing the faucet would be easier than fixing damages to pipes, tiles and other things.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks