How to remove Pitless Adapter Support Plate

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by rmgolob, Dec 19, 2016.

1. rmgolob

rmgolob New Member

In another thread, Reach4 helped me identify the first picture as a Pitless Adapter.
    The reason I posted is to figure how to remove what I now learned is the Support Plate.
    The Plate is about 4-5 feet down in the 6 in steel casing.

My pump needs replaced and a local driller came to remove the pump.
    They threaded a 1" x 5 ft (more or less) pipe into the female fitting on the top of the Support Plate..
    The "top" end of their pipe had an NPT collar welded to a type of clevis that they hooked to their drilling boom. When pulling (he said 12K lbs force) the pull pipe broke off at the collar attached to the clevis.

He suggested we soak with PB blaster for a few days and he will return. He says if he pulls again and it doesn't come up, we need to drill a new well.

Is it as simple as pulling with enough force? Or is there some type of set screw or locking device?
    In the drawing the support sits on top of the casing. Mine is down hole.

Any other suggestions?
    Thanks in advance,
    Rob

Attached Files:

2. Bruce2019

Bruce2019 New Member

Rob, I know this was a couple years back, but how did this come out? I have the same problem. I broke my tee at the top and I'm afraid to do it again because if it brakes at the pittless adapter It will be bad. I have an engine hoist above the well case hooked to the tee and cranked it a few times and she won't budge. I'm afraid to crank any higher. The pump has been down there for nearly 50 years and that is why she doesn't want to budge.

Thank you.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    If yours is like the one in the drawing you will need to loosen the "Stainless Steel Screw" to unlock the "back lever".

5. VAWellDriller

VAWellDriller Active Member

Mud rotary well driller, pump installer
    The picture and the diagram shown above are NOT the same thing....clarify which one you have and we may be able to help.

6. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Test, Don't Guess!
    In most areas it would be more economically feasable to cut the casing below the pitless and pull the pump with that section of casing attached. With that said, there is still the possibility that the pump may be stuck or the drop pipe could be broken during pulling. Step one is making sure you have positively identified the pitless adapter and how it should be split under normal conditions.

7. rmgolob

rmgolob New Member

Yes, when they returned and pulled with a better coupling, it came up easily