How to Remove Kohler Shower Valve Handle

Users who are viewing this thread

JacksonC

Reaction score
I have a 20 year old Kohler Taboret Rite-Temp pressure balancing valve shower faucet with lever handle. I need to replace the valve, but I can't get the lever handle off. The handle is a 9/16 inch hollow tube and to remove it you need to loosen a screw that is 2 5/16 inch down inside the tube. I have tried loosening the stuck screw by soaking with vinegar, WD-40 and Liquid Wrench, but no luck. Obviously it is hard to get at the screw down inside the tube. Before I cut the tube off so I can drill the screw out, any ideas on how to loosen the screw? Many thanks.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I think the PB Blaster is about the best chance you have to loosen that screw. If that doesn't work, then cutting and drilling is the only option left. IMO.

Are you able to position the handle so the opening is at the top and the penetrating liquid will stay in contact (not run out) with the screw? I think soaking it for 24hrs will either do it or not.

Be sure to use the correct size screwdriver (probably a #2 Phillips. I don't know for sure). Many of the cheaper screwdrivers don't make good contact. For example "Snap-On tools" has "anti-cam out" Phillips bits that are said to have a better grip. https://store.snapon.com/PHILLIPS-174-ACR-174--Bit-Phillips-ACR-2-P662784.aspx You may not be able to get a hex bit driver to fit in the handle, then a screw driver with the better tip (anti-cam out, or similar) should be used. Such as https://store.snapon.com/Diamond-Ti...iamond-Tip-Soft-Grip-Screwdriver-P650151.aspx If the screw head gets stripped, then it's time for the drill.

Good luck.

Untitled.png

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I agree with the use of the screwdriver with a top quality tip.

Sometimes tapping the handle with a hammer can re-form the screw head a bit and jar things loose. Then keep maximum pressure while turning.

If you do intend to drill things out, how about drilling the screw head with a long drill? You would need a new stem, but the tube would be saved. If you did cut the tube, you might be able to grasp the screw with a ViceGrip plier and save the stem. My ideas on the drilling are not based on experience.

JacksonC

Reaction score
I'll try the PB Blaster, and look for a good screwdriver trip. Yes, I can keep lever handle vertical to allow Blaster to soak. Tough to see what I'm doing in terms of drilling screw head with long drill - think I'll sacrifice the handle if I have to. Thanks to you both for your advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks