How to remove corroded water heater nipple?

Users who are viewing this thread

g20zoom

Reaction score
6 year old Rudd heater. Was bought at a plumbing supply house . I’m bummed the nipple is already corroded and almost ready to blow. I see external cracks.

suggestions on how to remove? What about those Husky internal pipe removal tools?
In your experience, what are my chances ? I would hope I can save this water heater since it’s not that old and I have a spare anode rod will replace too.

Thanks in advance! I’m just worried it might crumple on me with partial threads stuck.

3633CD34-FFFD-4C3D-8297-68069CA31B51.jpeg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It may unthread with a pipe wrench, and if not, then you can try the "easyout" or inside wrenches. There should be a plastic liner inside that pipe nipple.

pipe-wrenches-lang.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
This is an alternate interpretation of your photo.
6 year old Rudd heater. Was bought at a plumbing supply house . I’m bummed the nipple is already corroded and almost ready to blow. I see external cracks.
I am wondering if there was not a very slow leak at the gasket of the flex connector. That leak slowly dried, and left a deposit. Then the the leak stopped, and the deposit cracked.

Is there a pan under the WH? Maybe putting the sensor of a water alarm in the pan would give you warning if a leak develops. I am not a pro.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks