How to remove "Certain-Flush" one-piece flush valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark E

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 20-year-old Eljer Canterbury one-piece toilet, model 081-3025.
Toilet 2.jpg

I need to replace the flush valve because of a leak. I think the flush valve currently installed is not the original Eljer part. It has a label which simply says "Certain-Flush One Piece".
Flash Valve side 2.jpg

Flush Valve label 2.jpg

I searched the web and found that the Canterbury toilet, the original Eljer flush valve, and the Certain-Flush flush valve are all now discontinued products. The good news is that there may still be some Eljer valves available, and also there appears to be suitable replacement flush valves that are widely available, e.g. from Korky.

But now I have hit a problem: I need to remove the old Certain-Flush flush valve. If you look down the hole there appears to be 4 little tabs that stick out (highlighted in red in the picture below). I'm guessing that these tabs are used to tighten/loosen the valve, but I don't know what tool to use.
Flush Valve top 3.jpg

I noticed that the Korky replacement flush valve has tabs that are very similar to the Certain-Flush, and the Korky even comes with a little plastic tool for turning the tabs. Unfortunately the Korky tool does not fit into the Certain-Flush valve.

Korky Flush Valve tool 2.jpg

I appreciate any advice you might have about how to remove the old Certain-Flush valve.

Regards,
Mark E

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Depending on the size of the opening, I've cut pipe and added notches where needed to act as a wrench.
You need four notches in the right spots. What is the size of the opening?

faucet-nut-tool-terrylove-01.jpg

Mark E

Reaction score
Depending on the size of the opening, I've cut pipe and added notches where needed to act as a wrench.
You need four notches in the right spots. What is the size of the opening?

faucet-nut-tool-terrylove-01.jpg
Thanks for the cool idea, Terry! If I can't get the Pasco tool to work, I will definitely try this, it doesn't look too hard.

-- Mark

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. That looks promising, it's not too expensive so I'm going to order it and see what happens.
Those have worked for me on a commercial toilet spud. I'm not guaranteeing it'll work for you. I wouldn't want you to waste money without knowing that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks