How to remove broken and stuck faucet handle?

Users who are viewing this thread

afrank77

Reaction score
Hi.
The hot water handle for the bathroom faucet broke off. Literally broke off in my hand as I was turning it.

Here's an image:
http://prntscr.com/g41x3n

I bought replacement handles, removed the cap and screw of the old handles, but when I tried to remove the current ones they wouldn't budge. Neither hot, nor cold.

I did a bit of research online and found that there is a tool called a Faucet Handle Puller (something like this), that is meant to help with exactly this task of pulling off stuck handles. I plan to get one, but I'm not sure if this will help pull off the knob left of the broken handle.

If anyone could please give me some advise on how to do this, I would really appreciate it : )

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
If that is the image of the current situation, pry the plastic with the H on it off. A knife or wood chisel might be a helpful tool to get that started. That should expose a screw.

If that is not an image of the current situation, then .....?

afrank77

Reaction score
Hi Reach.
Yes, that's an image of the current situation.
I have already removed the plastic cap and removed the screw, but the handle won't budge.
I also tried the other handle that isn't broken (cold water). Removed the plastic cap and screw, but that handle too won't budge.
They are stuck.
The tool I mentioned, "faucet handle puller" is supposed to deal with exactly this issue
Here it is in action:

However, this demonstration is when the handle is still in tact.
In my case the handle is broken and I'm not sure if there is the proper leverage for this tool to work in my specific situation for the broken hot water handle.
Does that make sense? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've never used a handle puller. Use channel lock pliers. Rock it back and forth while pulling upwards. Turn the handle 1/4 turn. And repeat. Small movements. Takes awhile but works

afrank77

Reaction score
Hi. At first, I did try doing something like that using straight jaw locking pliers. But it felt like, while I was twisting and pulling, that there was too much movement going on with the inner stem, the part that the handle was originally screwed to (not sure what you call it exactly). I was afraid to cause damage to that, so I stopped. That's when I started googling the issue and found those handle pullers that apparently address the issue, because they pull on the handle while a center rod pushes down on the "stem" (for lack of plumbing vocabulary).
I'm just not sure the puller tool will work with the handle broken like it is, because it's supposed to latch on to the bottom of the handle, and all I have left of the handle is the top part.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks