How to remove a cast iron tub

Users who are viewing this thread

tileman2000

In the Trades
Reaction score
happy new year plumbers....!

Now for my question.I'm going to be tearing out 3 walls and a tub next week.The tub is cast iron so what is the best way to remove it?The homeowner doesn't want me to break the tub apart so that should be interesting.Also,what has to be removed..the drain and overflow plates?How are those removed?Thanks for the patience..!

Last edited by a moderator:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
First you are going to need at least 2 strong men or women (which ever you prefer) You may also need the aid of a dolly to carry the tub outside.

Second you will have to remove the waste and overflow and probably the tub and shower faucet.

Any cast iron tub that I have removed has never had any clips holding it to the studs, but you may want to make sure that is the case with your tub

The rest is brute strength

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They want you to lift the tub out in one piece?

Cast iron tubs have no scrap value, and you can by brand new ones in the crate for $300

To refinish an old tub, you are looking at $300

If someone gets hurt, who pays the medical bills?
I realize that we are expendable, but at some point, I just tell them it's not the chances I like taking.
I like taking jumps while I'm skiing, but to risk my back for an ancient tub?
You've got to be kidding me.

A. You are about to tackle one of my favorite jobs, removing a cast iron tub. Cast iron tubs weigh about 300 pounds. They are hard to install when new and almost impossible to remove and useless to anyone but a metal salvage outfit.
1. remove the waste & overflow drain fittings. the top part is held on with screws, the bottom drain fitting, threads into a receiving female thread. Tools are sold for removing the lower drain fitting, ( a dumbell tub tool)
2. lay a plastic sheet over the tub, and put on eye protection. (the plastic sheet helps to keep the glass from flying up and cutting skin). use a sledge hammer to break the tub up, starting at the mid point, breaking the tub at least into quarters.
3. carry out in pieces.
Then it's time for coffee.

mateer-02.jpg

cast-iron-tubs-cut.jpg

Diablo metal 4 1/2 grinder disc. The diamond one.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

I could probably remove the tub intact in less time than it takes to break it up, and I do it single handed. And even if it should take a bit more time, there would be a lot less cleanup work to do. Now, if it is on a second floor it takes two to get it down the stairs, but otherwise a bit of knowledge and a lot of experience gets it out.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I could probably remove the tub intact in less time than it takes to break it up, and I do it single handed. And even if it should take a bit more time, there would be a lot less cleanup work to do. Now, if it is on a second floor it takes two to get it down the stairs, but otherwise a bit of knowledge and a lot of experience gets it out.

WOW be careful and don't hurt yourself:eek: Man that makes my back hurt just thinking about it.:(

tileman2000

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses..!

I'll try to talk the homeowner into breaking up the tub.I can't see myself carrying a 300lb tub in one piece.It's on the second floor and has to go through 2 doorways (bathroom & bedroom).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

I cannot remember when I last had any help installing or removing a cast iron tub, but it has been decades. And since I am 75 and never had a back problem, I guess I have been doing it correctly. The idea is to do it your head not your back. I once even installed a Kohler 60x36x20 Steeping Bath into a deck, (put it in and took it out more than once to get everything to fit with the plumbing and tile), using leverage and "smarts".

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score

For my first 35 yrs in the business that's all we used. Most of the homes were two story and two of use would just carry it up stairs. If you use your head and keep you back straight when lifting is not that hard. Never had a back problem and still don't. In my thinking steel tubs are just temporary.

John

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Removing your old cast iron tub

There is only one sure way to remove a cast iron tub that I know off. Hit it with a sledge hammer until it fits in garbage cans 1/3 full. I like the pick axe as well for this job.

Make sure if they want it removed in on piece you have your disclaimer for any damage through out the house. We removed a soaker 6' cast 32" deep about 7 years ago.

5 guys and a dolly. Took us 15 minutes just to navigate the double staircase.

I said then - "Never again"

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
An 18lb sledge hammer and wear safety glasses and gloves....very sharp edges on the broken pieces. Keep it covered when you bust it up. A tarp or an old movers blanket works good......

Getting one out of a 5x8 bathroom and then down a narrow steep set of stairs on my second floor would be a recipe for disaster.

I installed an Americast after demo-ing the old Kohler C.I. and was able to do it by myself.......Getting it up those stairs was a little bit of a struggle but I made it and so did the tub.....

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
I tilted mine up on its side onto cardboard & carpet
Then I just slid it out of the house - 1st floor

My neighbor went the sledgehammer route - 2nd floor
He's retired...maybe 70 or so or older
I offered to assist, he said if he had any problems he'd come get me
Retired phone employee - line worker

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
sledgehammer works best but

the problem with it being on the second floor is
if you smack it with he sledge hammer, you risk the
chance of the drywall on the ceiling below the tub cracking ....

had a contractor who broke out a tub for a job and did not think to look in the adjacent rooms,,,,

a large antique mirror came crashing down in the next bedroom... the owners were not happy at all

and I glad I was not in the middle of it..

its best to hire a couple of dumb apes for the day
and let them take it out. and not shake up the home....

cast-iron-tubs-cut.jpg

Diablo metal 4 1/2 grinder disc. The diamond one.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
the problem with it being on the second floor is
if you smack it witht he sledje hammer, you risk the
chance of the drywall on teh ceiling below the tub cracking ....

had a contractor who broke out a tub for a job and did not think to look in the adjacent rooms,,,,

a large antique mirror came crashing down in the next bedroom... the owners were not happy at all
and I glad i was not in the middle of it..

its best to hire a couple of dumb apes for the day
and let them take it out. and not shake up the home....

HJ I guess he is referring to us.

John

tileman2000

In the Trades
Reaction score
This job is for family,so you all know the drill.It will be me and whoever else I can get to help.There's a plumber coming in after,but will see if he can come in before and remove the drain and overflow covers.

FJK

Reaction score
I hope hj replys to my comment. I'm about to remove my second cast iron tub. The first one I broke up with a sledge, & I did not like doing that at all.

This second one, I "thought" could slide straight out of the 3 wall alcove, BUT I am about 3/4" short of having enough room due to a door jam protrusion I would need to clear.

So, Plan B, which I have not started yet (still have to pull off some more tile) is to reverse the installation procedure that Terry had for installing a cast iron villager tub (same tub as mine).

My question is the best way to get one end of the tub up high engough so I can get in between the studs & lift it to a vertical upright position. My plan is a lever bar, maybe a jack, progressively lifting, blocking, lifting, blocking.. until I can physically pivot it upright. This is where I hope hj can offer some advise.
Thanks, FJK

FJK

Reaction score
Thanks Terry, but I'm still not sure if I have enough room unless I can pull out & rotate the bottom in almost at the same time. That darn door jam is really close to the alcove wall.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks