How to remove 1980s vintage Delta faucet bonnet

Users who are viewing this thread

grider

Reaction score
45184FDA-6D40-45D3-A2BF-1BFE97119C26.jpeg

Any suggestions on how to pull the bonnet from this faucet to replace the cartridge? There doesn’t seem to be calcium buildup at the bottom, there’s no set screw, and it won’t budge with attempts to pry upward. I don’t want to damage it so have resisted brute force. What am I missing?

45184FDA-6D40-45D3-A2BF-1BFE97119C26.jpeg
C75B2A0E-1B1B-4A2A-910E-032474D6B12D.jpeg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
handel pulls off (screw is removed) unscrew bonnet with adj wrench or channel lock. (with water turned off) pull cartridge pulls straight out.
washer and spring in bottom usualy cause of drips

grider

Reaction score
handel pulls off (screw is removed) unscrew bonnet with adj wrench or channel lock. (with water turned off) pull cartridge pulls straight out.
washer and spring in bottom usualy cause of drips

Thanks, Terry and Jeff.
So I just unscrew the entire assembly shown in the photo with the porcelain handle removed? I’ll give it a try in the morning and report back

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
no the handel should pull straight up. bonnet will then be exposed. there was a screw you removed on top right?

grider

Reaction score
no the handel should pull straight up. bonnet will then be exposed. there was a screw you removed on top right?
Yes, there was a screw in the top of the handle assembly, which I removed. Also one in the end of the handle arm, which I also removed to slide porcelain trim off.

grider

Reaction score
Yes, there was a screw in the top of the handle assembly, which I removed. Also one in the end of the handle arm, which I also removed to slide porcelain trim off.

It just doesn’t want to budge pulling straight up. Could there be an second screw buried dune the hole on top under the one removed?

grider

Reaction score
It just doesn’t want to budge pulling straight up. Could there be an second screw buried dune the hole on top under the one removed?
(This is definitely the Delta H22 handle assembly shown in Terry’s graphic above.)

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
you got the screws out handles often get stuck crl, vinegar maybey tap , wiggle, pull

grider

Reaction score
you got the screws out handles often get stuck crl, vinegar maybey tap , wiggle, pull
Thanks, Jeff. I’ve been doing that but didn’t want to use brute force in case there’s another retainer somewhere, but now that you say there’s not, I’ll keep working on it and report back to the thread if I’m successful, since I’m not the only one who has these 30+ year old fixtures that need servicing.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
they can be quite a bear ! I'm not an expert on delta or any faucets but have installed a ton over years but don't that regularly service them, but I'm almost 100 percent sure nothing else is holding it. just gotta work on it maybe even a hot wet rag . they're are handle pullers I don't have them though. but definitely tap on it with wood or plastic and put some kind of liquid down the screw hole

Reach4

Reaction score
If using a puller, I would get a Philips head screw with the same thread as the screw you pulled, but longer. Then have the puller push down on your temporary screw as it pulls the handle upward.

grider

Reaction score
Thanks Jeff and Reach4. I’ll give it a try with a puller. Good tip about the longer screw...

grider

Reaction score
Thanks Jeff and Reach4. I’ll give it a try with a puller. Good tip about the longer screw...
Update 1/11/2021:
Success! A little finesse, patience, and a lot of elbow grease got the handle assembly off - straight up as Jeff advised. Thanks again to you both.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks