How to remodel basement laundry after moving washer/dryer

Users who are viewing this thread

landsbergfan

Reaction score
Below is a picture during my remodel of my 2nd floor bath (above the basement plumbing) Wouldn't I be tying into this vent above all of my fixtures or do I literally have to run a vent all the way up to above what is pictured here?
IMG_1983.JPG

Can't say thanks enough! I will likely get a plumber to consult, but still want to know what I am talking about before they get here.

Reach4

Reaction score
I understood "wall" to be my finished wall, but I believe you are saying it refers to the outer concrete wall. In that case, I would be in the yellow area.
So lets figure out how you might do that.

First, how close can you get a 2 inch pipe to the concrete wall? If the pipe is straight between two fittings, looking at https://www.aetnaplastics.com/site_media/media/attachments/aetna_product_aetnaproduct/204/PVC Sch 40 Fittings Dimensions.pdf the fittings would be dimension M =2.75 at the thickest, and the pipe OD would be 2.375 inches. If the pipe is straight, that puts the inside of the pipe at 2.5625 inches from the wall. That would correspond to the minimum between the back of the breaker box and the concrete. If the pipe between the fittings could be bent toward the wall, we could reduce that needed space to 2.375. How to move the pipe side to the wall? Bend the pipe with heat, or stress it with clamps to bend it that little bit (0.1875 inch). So picking one of those numbers, we would see how much away from the wall the breaker panel needs to move.

The breaker box is probably held on with screws into the plywood. I would figure out how much more thickness I would need to add, and insert at least that much more plywood. Then screw it all together.

Before trying to slide the new wood into place, you would remove any cable clamps tying the NM too closely to the wall. You would unscrew the box, slide the new wood into place, screw into place, and replace any cable clamps needed.

I have not accounted for the wall perhaps not being completely vertical. So adding some margin would be good.

My comments on implementing this are the way I imagine it, and are not based on relevant experience.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
One more comment: the working space requirement starts at the front of the panel. So if you are planning to frame a new wall in front of the concrete wall, you have to move the panel out into the newly framed wall. Or you could frame a 30" wide x 80" tall cased opening (finish clear dimensions) or a 32" x 80" door (if the door opening is 30" clear when open) in the wall to provide access to the panel. A "window" opening is not sufficient, the wall below the "window" opening is a working space violation.

Cheers, Wayne

landsbergfan

Reaction score
You CANNOT connect the vent to the existing drain system where you indicate. It MUST connect at least 42" above the floor above all existing fixtures.
I verified that the pipe I planned to connect it to is only a vent that starts near where I would tie into it and goes up to the 2nd floor bath I had pictured. It appears to have vent pipes for my first floor bath and kitchen, 2nd floor sink and tub, and then itself ties into the top of the drain at my 2nd floor toilet and goes up through the roof.

I understand the issue with trying to vent into an above drain system, but isn’t the vent okay? I feel like I understand the issue you’ve described, but I don’t understand how that is different from and not a problem for my first floor vents

landsbergfan

Reaction score
I made a quick sketch to help understand so someone might be able to answer. Yellow is vent, green is old drain, blue is the new drain and vent I want to do in the basement. Do I need to go to the roof with this vent (in blue) or can I go into the existing vent? The lines indicate 2nd, 1st, and basement floor. The yellow vent in the basement connects to the 1st floor drain with a wye before it goes into the main stack. I have pictures of that in this thread.

image1.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
I made a quick sketch to help understand so someone might be able to answer. Yellow is vent, green is old drain, blue is the new drain and vent I want to do in the basement.
You should join the blue vent to the yellow 42 inches or more higher than the floor above. If not practical, you could use an AAV.

Come to think of it, I don't think there was a reason for the bottom end of the yellow to join the green as you drew it. The situation may be a little different than you are picturing. If it is the way you are picturing, you could use the bottom part of the yellow to vent the basement, and split off the vent for the dishwasher+sink on the main floor.

Attachments

• img_1.jpg
    img_1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 189

landsbergfan

Reaction score
You should join the blue vent to the yellow 42 inches or more higher than the floor above. If not practical, you could use an AAV.

Come to think of it, I don't think there was a reason for the bottom end of the yellow to join the green as you drew it. The situation may be a little different than you are picturing. If it is the way you are picturing, you could use the bottom part of the yellow to vent the basement, and split off the vent for the dishwasher+sink on the main floor.
Appreciate the input. Not sure why it’s set up that way. I kind of agree with you. My picture might not be completely accurate, but I’ve run every fixture in my house and nothing drains into that pipe. It goes to the roof (edit: it goes to back into the main stack above the 2nd floor bathroom)

Last edited:

landsbergfan

Reaction score
I guess where I’m at is I have 3 choices.
1. Is run a new vent all the way to the roof or at least above the 2nd floor bath. This basically isn’t possible without ripping out and remodeling a lot.

2. Is plumb this with AAVs. Not a permanent solution and I’ve read lots of reasons to avoid them.

3. Tee into the vent as drawn.

From what I understand, the reason I need to move the vent higher is so in case of a clogged drain water doesn’t run through the vents (which would go to my basement sink/washer). Hopefully I’d notice that, but obviously could flood the basement. As of now I know nothing drains into that pipe so it would vent my plumbing until something backs up. The choice of that vs AAVs, I’m not sure. Feels like I could plumb it as drawn with some provision to easily add AAVs if I run into a problem. Maybe that’s dumb? Not sure. Feel free to tell me if it is

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks