How to reliably add a conditioner to a boiler?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My boiler system is a bear to bleed all of the air from it. It has radiant in-floorheat at the highest point, so it generally takes a fair amount of flow through the whole thing to flush the air out. What's then left, the air extractors can handle to finish it off.

The problem is, trying to commission a new boiler and putting in the conditioner recommended by the manufacturer. Measure out the required amount while the system is nearly empty, and there are places you can insert it (essentially, pour it in). But, then once you've filled it up, you have to purge the air out enough so it can safely be turned back on. In that process, you'll end up flushing out some unknown amount of the conditioner (it wants a 1-1.5% concentration).

I thought about trying to make a pressure injector for the stuff, but haven't found anything off the shelf. About the only way to insert any after the system is pressurized is to insert it under pressure from say one of the drain valves.

Is there another way?

FWIW, I do have a concentration test kit to verify the proper mix. At $30/quart, (it should only need about 12-14oz for my volume), it will start to get expensive. The stuff I'm using is Sentinel x100, one of the ones recommended by the boiler manufacturer. Don't know how much it may help in the long run, but want this one to last as long as possible.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
A sort of funky idea. The pressure in the system is not very high.

Get a container that can be sealed/clamped shut that will take the pressure. Install a hose attachment part to the container.

On the inside, extend the hardware for attaching the hose to the bottom of the container. Something stiff. A container with a lid will obviously make this a lot easier. Maybe a small sprayer. Fairly high pressure, may not need air compressor. And it has an outlet almost ready for a hose adapter.

Put a air hose connection in the container (or not if a sprayer works).

Fill container. Secure the top to container. Connect hose to boiler system. Attach air compressor.

A creative trip to Home Depot should provide everything you need.

Locate the assorted valves and fixtures to get things in and out of the system.

Find suitable place to discharge water which is away from the connection you are using to add material.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks