How to Read American Standard Date Codes in Tanks?

Users who are viewing this thread

ClassicTVMan1981

Reaction score
Does anyone know which of the two numbers inside of a vintage American Standard toilet tank I should pay attention to, as to knowing exactly how old that tank is? These tanks are often seen on some older bowls, since the bowl designs themselves remain unchanged for several decades.

For example, my 1984 American Standard Plebe's tank has these numbers stamped on the inside: "T84" and "FEB 21 4," and is most certainly an '84 either way I look at it.

However, I have seen tanks of similar vintage with such stampings as "T85" and "MAR 21 1" together, and therefore for this example, only one of the two numbers would really constitute the year the tank was made. Which of these two would be correct?

Thank you,

Ben Edge

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks