How to pull 2" well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxwelhse

Reaction score
I've been having trouble with, what I think is, a 2" well for years now. When I bought the house the original pump would cavitate (or "howl") loudly (the home inspector told me the bearings were going out of it... he was wrong) so I replaced it. I quickly discovered that any time I used enough water for the pressure to drop to around 20psi the new pump would scream too. I "fixed" this issue by restricting the flow to the house by partially closing a shut off valve.

Over the years this has gotten worse and worse and I've had to reduce the pressure on the shut off switch ever lower and lower. Now it's to the point that the well won't make more than about 22psi of pressure and is constantly cycling between howling and no howling (I can also hear loads of silt coming through the line and my filter housing is black... the well has always pumped up tons of junk and I have to service the housing monthly).

I have sought help from other forums and no one really knows anything about these old 2" wells and from some other posts here it looks like there may be some guys on here that are still working on them. I called a couple of local contractors and they won't even touch them anyone (with one guy stating that the cost to even pull it up and look at it would be $1500?!?!).

The plan for my well that is on record with my county is terrible. It's a hand drawn sketch that says the well is 21' deep (which ever driller I've talked to finds highly unlikely in my area) and that's it. My pump is a jet pump that has been converted to deep well use (2 black plastic irrigation pipes connect to it and run out of the foundation). That's the sum total of what I know about its construction.

Also... Last night I ran into a problem where the well just WOULD NOT get over 10psi. I've been tinkering with the booster tank pressure (which appears to be fine) and the only way I could get the pump to start building pressure up again was to put more pressure in the tank to get the pump some "back pressure". Now it pumps water again, but not past 22psi or so. The pump doesn't appear to be losing prime and I confirmed this by loosening one of the priming plugs and it shot water out (which to me, makes sense since the gauge said 10psi). My pump has also been highly abused over the years due to the clear defect with "something" in the well. So there could possible be some damage its internal parts (from erosion and whatnot) but I've never read of anyone fixing a problem like mine by simply bolting a new pump on. If that could work, I'll try it.

I know the "most correct" answer here is to have a new well drilled and have a submersible pump installed. I'm currently unemployed and dealing with a back injury so financially that's just not an option (I also can't go out and dig a 4' deep pit with a shovel in my insanely hard clay... I'd need to rent a small excavator to dig anything so I need to know what really needs done before I even start). My area is also in the process of being annexed by my local government so city water is "eventually" coming. If I can do something, practically anything, to make this thing work remotely correctly again for maybe another year or two that's absolutely what I want to do.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. I have attached a few pictures of the well in the yard for your reference. I once tried putting a breaker bar with a large cheater on the top most nut but it appears to be ultra tight and I didn't want to break something without knowing what I'm doing. Someone else suggested that I needed to dig down to the pitless adapter on the side of the case before I can even get started, but even if I did so I wouldn't have any idea of what to do after that.

Also, if it matters at all, I'm NE IN if there is a pro on here that specializes in these old wells and wants to look at it. I've got to think $1500 is crazy just to pull it up and take a look, but what do I know?

IMG_0160.JPG

IMG_0159.JPG

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd dig down and see how the water line from the house is connected to the well. There may not be a down pipe. The pump could be just drawing from the casing , so there is nothing to pull up.

Maxwelhse

Reaction score
I'd dig down and see how the water line from the house is connected to the well. There may not be a down pipe. The pump could be just drawing from the casing , so there is nothing to pull up.

Is there a way for me to open the top of the casing and visually verify that before digging? Also, the pipes exit the side of my foundation (which makes me thing they go horizontal through the ground) at about 3' down the wall and not out the floor. Also, the well is only about 4' away from the house.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you could open it up and see what is down there. If there is a down pipe, you should be able to see it. If it is drawing off the casing and you open it up, the pump will start to suck air if it come on. You would need to seal it up real good when you put it back together so it holds prime.

Maxwelhse

Reaction score
I think you could open it up and see what is down there. If there is a down pipe, you should be able to see it. If it is drawing off the casing and you open it up, the pump will start to suck air if it come on. You would need to seal it up real good when you put it back together so it holds prime.

Ok... So how do I open it? I have no idea which nut on the top to turn.

Maxwelhse

Reaction score
If I was you I would dig it up but if you are determined to take it apart. That big nut is part of a union and it will come apart. You need two big pipe wrenches. Put one on the bigest nut and one on the nut under that nut. It should come apart there, I think.

Here is a union:
http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/62148002

I just don't understand what digging a hole next to it (which I physically can't do without equipment) is supposed to tell me. Won't there be a pitless adapter on the side of the case no matter what is inside the case?

I agree that it looks like a union, but I'd like someone that really knows what it is to confirm that as well as tell me what is going to happen if I DO take it apart up there. Should I be able to just pull it out and inspect things or do I need to dig the hole to disconnect a pitless adapter from the casing to pull the entire thing up. I really have no idea what to expect.

I do really appreciate you trying to help me. I just want a clear plan before I have a piece of rented equipment sitting here and costing me money.

Maxwelhse

Reaction score
I think half of where I'm going wrong is that I don't understand how the pipe coming from the house are supposed to connect to the casing or the pipes (if there are any) inside the casing. Can someone explain that to me?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If there is a pitless adapter you will have to access it from the top.

I think it could be either way but the only way to tell is to do something. Just looking at it, as it is , it is hard to say what you will find. I think it is one way or the other but I don't know for sure. The easiest would be to open the union. You can always put it back together. Is there one pipe going from the house to the well?

The dirt around the well ought to be loose enough to dig out with a shovel, if there is not a slab.
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...sft=cm_mmc:Shopping-_-LIAs-_-D28I-_-204476048

Maxwelhse

Reaction score
I guess what I'm asking is how it works if there is not a pitless adapter. I don't even know what I don't know at this point.

There are 2 plastic irrigation pipes that leave the pump and go through the side of the foundation in the basement. I assume they both go to the well in a deep pump configuration.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If that is the case, then there probably is a pitless adapter. It sounds like a jet pump. Have you got a photo of the pump and how those two pipes are connected to the pump?

Maxwelhse

Reaction score
It is a jet pump. The pipes run straight out the front of it and through the basement wall. I can take a picture if you need one.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
It sounds like the jet is plugged. If you remove the union you will be able to look down into the well but I don't know much about pitless adapters. It may not be pitless-it may need to be dug up. It's probably set on steel pipe-good luck pulling it without equipment.

Reach4

Reaction score
Suppose Maxwelhse's pump is only 21 ft deep or, if deeper, suppose the static water level was 21 ft. Could he hook up one or both pipes to a shallow well pump and suck water?

Maxwelhse

Reaction score
It sounds like the jet is plugged. If you remove the union you will be able to look down into the well but I don't know much about pitless adapters. It may not be pitless-it may need to be dug up. It's probably set on steel pipe-good luck pulling it without equipment.

If I were to try pulling it, my hope is that a small loader tractor may pull it free and that the well is actually only 21 feet deep, so maybe we can just take a couple of different bites on it by re-positioning a strap or something? The tractor should be able to pick it up about 8 feet at a time assuming that it doesn't weigh more than 800lbs or so.

Hopeless?

Suppose Maxwelhse's pump is only 21 ft deep or, if deeper, suppose the static water level was 21 ft. Could he hook up one or both pipes to a shallow well pump and suck water?

Good question.

Maxwelhse

Reaction score
Looks like parts may still be available then... I suppose it's worth a shot before I beg and borrow $5k I don't have for a new well. Really, the best news of this is that it looks like excavation is not immediately necessary and that's the part I really can't handle. I already had to cancel a phyiscal therapy appointment for tomorrow from having to deal with this.

On the plus side, I did talk to a very professional and courteous will driller today, so if it gets that way I've got a guy to call. He quoted $3500 for the whole, casing, and I think screen for a new 5". I can handle handing a pump on some PEX and some wiring.

Reach4

Reaction score
Looks like parts may still be available then... I suppose it's worth a shot before I beg and borrow $5k I don't have for a new well. Really, the best news of this is that it looks like excavation is not immediately necessary and that's the part I really can't handle.
Use a bright flashlight or direct the sun down the pipe with a mirror to see what you can see, once you get the union apart.

Maxwelhse

Reaction score
Use a bright flashlight or direct the sun down the pipe with a mirror to see what you can see, once you get the union apart.

Will do. I also have a USB inspection camera that works "so so" so I may be able to take a video too and really get a look.

Thanks a lot for all of the help folks. I've gone from totally clueless to dangerously stupid today from reading up on the things shared here.

Maxwelhse

Reaction score
I've been thinking a great deal about this and I'm growing more and more curious about what it would take to convert my setup to a shallow well system assuming everything but the casing is completely roasted.

Dig it up, put on a different pitless adapter, new pipe with a sandpoint (???), and done? If it's at all possible, I think that's the only financially feasible thing I can do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks