How To Prime Starite Projet SL Series Deep Well Jet Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

midasxl

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for your time. I have no idea how to prime my irrigation pump. Not sure where to add water or what the big additional tank is on top of the pump. I turned the pump on and it ran for a few minutes and never built pressure, so I assumed it was not sucking water. Any help you may be able to provide will be greatly appreciated. The manual doesn't make sense to me; I'd rather chat with someone who has done this before. I've included some photos for reference. Thanks!

2013-05-14 16.57.38.jpg2013-05-14 16.57.57.jpg2013-05-14 16.58.18.jpg2013-05-14 16.58.36.jpg

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Spin the tank off and fill the lines and pump with water. Put the tank back on, close the valve and turn the pump on. When you see the pressure start to build on the gauge open the valve slowly to bleed off the air.

So long as there are no breaks in the pipe, and the footvalve is holding, the pump should prime pretty easily.

midasxl

Reaction score
Double Checking

Rgr, thanks for the direction. So the relief valve is the tiny plug in the back on top of the pump body, correct? This looks like it can be adjusted with a screwdriver or completely removed. This is NOT the place that I add water right? Water has to be added at the point where the T is between the pump and the big tank in the middle. Just want to make sure.

Thanks!

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Unscrew the tank, the large grey unit on top of the pump, fill the lines and pump with water, put the tank back on, close the valve with the red handle and then turn the pump on. When the pressure increases on the gauge slowly open the valve to bleed off any air.

That should do it.

midasxl

Reaction score
Ok, the prime worked fine. I removed the tank, filled with water until it topped off, replaced the tank, turned valve off and turned pump on. The pressure shot up to about 50 psi rather quickly, and then things got crazy. The pump started to leak. I couldn't tell where it was leaking from so I quickly shot some video for reference. Looking at the manual and the exploded view of the parts it looks like it is leaking from around the seal plate. So it's probably the seal plate gasket???

So what is the little plug in the back on top? The one that can be adjusted with a screwdriver; what is that for?

Thanks for all your help!!

[video=youtube;UjBJKneVC3U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjBJKneVC3U[/video]

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's probably leaking from the shaft seal. You might be able to order one and if you're handy install it or find someone who can.

midasxl

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I checked the catalog and found Catalog # U109-6A, SHAFT SEAL PKG for $23.00. Hopefully that will do the trick. $23.00 is better than $650.00 for a new pump. If the seal package comes with instructions I'll probably try to tackle it. If not I'll find someone who can. Thanks for all your help, I greatly appreciate it!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks