How to prepare cut copper pipe for sharkbite fitting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Eclecticmn

Homeowner with hot water cast iron radiators
Reaction score
I want to use a 1 inch sharkbite elbow to receive a 1 inch copper pipe coming down from a hot water cast iron radiator. I want to do this because the floor linoleum is crappy and will need to be replaced. I want to make it easier to move the radiator out of the way.

I got a better tube cutter with a cutting wheel. I know that I have to de-burr the cut end especially for sharkbite fittings so as to not damage the O rings inside the fittings. That removes any small jagged copper pieces.

I notice that the cut end of the copper has a ridge formed that extends inside the pipe. Should I try to get rid of that to have a smooth cut end? What is the best way? Would using a hack saw to cut be better than the tubing cutter?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
They make an i.d./o.d. reamer that's a great tool. Otherwise just sand it after you debur. Concentrate on the ridge. But generally even these steps aren't needed. We only use sharkbite fittings for temporary situations like testing.

I just fixed a leaking sharkbite last week.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks