How to plumb sink after washer drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nick Evans

Reaction score
I have a washer/dryer next to a sink hookup, but we want to move things to the adjacent wall.
Here is a picture of the current setup.

j49FJIB.jpg

The sink is currently connected to the stack at a T above the T that connects the washer drain pipe.
I have to go ~30" from the stack to an elbow, then another ~80" to where I want the sink (it will be beneath a window).
I'm trying to figure out how I can plumb this setup correctly.
Is it best to use two unique T's like this setup (Grey line is supposed to be a P trap for the washing machine).
In this setup, it keeps the 2 lines separate like they are now, I just wonder if there's a better way to go about this.
7YxzKT6.png

I wasn't sure if there was some better setup - similar to this or something. (though in their setup, the washer drain is after the sink - the reverse of what I'm after).
iBD7M.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your secpmd photo, with revisions, is the way to do it. In your first picture, BOTH drains are too long to be installed without secondary vents.

Nick Evans

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys.
I went and read up more on venting and wet venting.
If I understand correctly - the way they plumbed things originally (picture #1 in my first post) they wet vented the washer drain, which per @Terry is bad.

So based on the feedback, and what I read in those links above, here's my new proposal.
ZehVE7f.png

The article listed above said vents cannot be further than 5' from the drain, so I denoted that on my diagram.
It also says "the vent can not have bends in excess of 135 degrees" which makes me curious - my secondary vents in this diagram have 90 degree elbows... is that going to be a problem?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
WHO drew up THAT design? Besides being overly complicated, it is almost completely wrong. The "washer vent" is absolutely useless at that location and the washer drain is not vented. The washer's vent can be 5' from the trap ONLY if there is no other drain connected to it.

Nick Evans

Reaction score
WHO drew up THAT design? .
I drew it - good thing I posted it to find out it's badly done.

The washer's vent can be 5' from the trap ONLY if there is no other drain connected to it.
So since there are 2 drains on this line, what does the vent distance change to? 2'? Directly above the drain (don't know what the term is for that).

Can you give me some details as to why it's too complicated or doesn't work?
You said the original picture I posted of someone elses setup was good but needed modifications. I want the reverse of what they have - the sink further than the washer drain, so I'm not totally clear how I would adapt that.

Everything I'm finding in my searches discusses how to plumb the setup if:
  1. It's located on the same wall as the stack (mine is not)
  2. The washer is located after the sink (I want the sink further away than the washer)

Here's another image that is kind of what I want, but again, has the 2 issues as listed above:
rGQg3.jpg

Terry's note on this: The washer standpipe is too short. He should have come off lower to start the trap arm for the washer. Instead of a vertical santee, he could have used a horizontal combo fitting.

I could try drawing another mock up, but, if you have any suggestions maybe I should take them into account prior to trying it again. I'm also open to links to articles that discuss my topic as well. I just haven't been able to find the details for what I'm after specifically.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick Evans

Reaction score
After looking at more examples on other sites, I'm wondering if this is a better set up:

JW1O4o8.png

No wet venting (I don't think), a simpler design, and I think if the vent is stacked right over the drain it's more like the examples I'm seeing around online.
Would this setup work?
If no - could you please help me understand why?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
NYC plumbing code stated the Trap "shall be " within 2 feet of a vented line and the trap shall be no more then 2 feet from the fixture so in another word you have 4 feet to play with not 5

Roberto

Reaction score
Dear Terry,

man I able to add a second vanity sink by placing a t on the vertical pipe labeled “washer drain” on the right side of the photo?

Thank you,

Roberto

Attachments

• 7062F434-7D3A-41C1-9532-9F5F7AC81444.jpeg
    7062F434-7D3A-41C1-9532-9F5F7AC81444.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,076
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks