How to plug this hole in a PVC pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

MaxBlack

Reaction score
Rainwater collection system with multiple tanks and a 2" "header" that collects all the water for pumping to the house. Here in TX we have occasional days in the winter where it gets into the teens F and so I cleverly (NOT!) drilled holes at each of my tank valves so that I could let air into the header, drain the water from it, thus protecting the PVC from freezing and splitting.

These holes are plugged with Shaw plugs (Snap-Tite) which are failing and one of the holes won't take a fresh Shaw valve (slight leak) and since I'm going on a long vacation I just want to plug the doggone thing. How best to do this? Cut another PVC fitting and glue it over-the-top of the hole, maybe use a couple of hose clamps to keep it in place til the glue dries?

Notice where I'd drilled the 3/8" holes is right over some LASKO lettering which I'd have to smooth-down I guess. What do you guys think? My tanks number 8 in 2500 and 3000gal capacity some 7' tall so while the PSI is not great, nor is it insignificant (and I can't tolerate leaks, this stuff is precious!).

THANKS for any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

MaxBlack

Reaction score
Thanks LLigetfa I do have a 3/8" NPT brass drain valve, as is used for draining the moisture from the bottom of an air compressor, but what concerns me about drilling the hole bigger and tapping it is simply that when using a hand drill on PVC, the bit tends to "wander" and I think that is why my Snap-Tites aren't working in this hole, that it may be slight out-of-round. I thought about drilling bigger and screwing the 3/8" fitting (3/8 being the hole size of course not the size needed for the fitting) without tapping first and I worry that I'd split the male adapter.

Bolt seems a reasonable idea as a plug...hmm.

Your right Terry with as little pressure as is present rubber/hose clamps oughta do it too. At least, it should be easy to try if I can find some appropriate rubber material around here.

Thanks guys.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
No need for drilling... just tap the thread. I tap threads on plastic to install grease zerks.

A small rubber patch under a hose clamp as Terry suggests would work well also.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
JB Water Weld would do the trick also. It is like putty.

MaxBlack

Reaction score
No need for drilling... just tap the thread. I tap threads on plastic to install grease zerks.
Well the hole is too small as-is for the 3/8" NPT fitting. Good to know though that tapping works.

I'll have to look for JB Water Weld and keep some on hand. Never heard of it before, though I *think* JB may also make the Seal-All I've used so seal some leaks in gasoline-holding stuff.

Anyway I found a clean piece of rubber stretch-strap (bungee) stuff and a hose clamp. It flattened pretty well over the hole so I imagine it's bowed-into the hole and sealing the edges OK, but I've put a piece of paper underneath and I will feel for seepage both.

Thanks for helping me--I needed some ideas and got them--I won't post again unless my repair fails, in which case I'll get a full-size rubber coupling from HD and cut it/cover it a bit more thoroughly which surely oughta work. But I hope this is good as-is:

Last edited by a moderator:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Nice Job.

Walmart has JB Water Weld, It is in a Round Tube $5. You can Dill and tap it, after it sets about 6 hours it is tough stuff.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks