How to lift a cast iron tub, 1 man, no sweat!

Users who are viewing this thread

jcy110

Reaction score
Got a Kohler Bellwether cast iron tub. It weighs over 300 lbs. Since I am a one man operation I had to be able to get the tub leveled on my own, or if necessary take it back out on a dolly. The come along is supported by a 4x4 and can slide in and out on the 2x6's to change the angle of lift/drop. The cable is secured to the 4x4 so it cannot come off and chip the tub. The strap from Walmart is 20' long so its a perfect fit when the rope keeps the ends together. Plus since the tub is 60" and the RO is 61" you can slip the strap out when done. Piece of cake and no gorilla needed!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have almost ALWAYS set my tubs by myself, but NEVER used a hoist to do it. Even with a Kohler 36 x 60 Steeping Bath, which weighs quite a bit more than a standard tub and has to drop in from a platform.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a foldable engine hoist that I've used to move a couple tubs, move a wood stove, and pull small stumps and fence posts out of the ground. It's a pretty useful tool.

Reaction score
I have done similar. This makes putting shims under the feet of the tub easy. Also helps when the tub is on a slab when connecting the drain. Getting the tub in place is still the not so fun part.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks