How to know when to replace gas Hot water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrew McIntyre

Reaction score
I have a 50-gallon gas hot water heater tank- It is about 12 years old- Looks like it is in perfect condition. No leaking around the tank. However, I have noticed lately that it takes a lot longer for the water to get hot- Is this a sign I need to replace the unit. This is the only problem I can tell with the heater. I typically do flush of the tank once a year and drain and refill

Reach4

Reaction score
What if it leaks? If not a big deal, I would keep in in service until it leaks.

If you are in a condo, you should replace before failure.
If the WH is in a utility room with a floor drain, I would let it go. I expect 30 years or so with a gas WH, but others have very different experiences. I am not a pro, but I have had more than 30 years on the only WH I installed. Still going as far as I know.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most gas water heaters will only last 15 years.

Where your water heater is makes a big difference. What happens if it fails when you are out of town? Is it in a safe location for that?
Do you plan on replacing on your time schedule, or on a holiday weekend with company over?

As a plumber that installs water heaters, and having to replace water heaters less than 15 years old several times in my own homes, I would say that 10-15 years is average.

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep.. Risk assesment is how to gauge when to replace a water heater and definitely schedule at Terry points out.

Most water heaters fail slowly so adding a simple battery operated moisture alarm is a cheap way to be notified that its time to replace. I have only seen a couple water heaters burst and both were likely due to extreme neglect.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would say use what you have until it fails. You could even keep an eye out for a great deal and when one comes along but the replacement and store it until failure. Other factors are mentioned above. But most water heaters develope a slow leak that you just notice one day.

Have you flushed the heater recently? How are you measuring the recovery rate which you say seems slower?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks