How to install lavatory legs

Users who are viewing this thread

Mcnattyp

Reaction score
I bought some lav legs from the box store and they didn't come with instructions and I can't figure out how to use the parts. I've gone back to the store and looked in the other packages but they don't have instructions. I've been to Plumb Pak's website, and in their immense "installation instructions" section, they don't have instructions for these legs. So naturally, I turn to you fine plumbers for some help.

I should mention that my sink was bought used, so that's why I'm cobbling together this kit.

Here's a picture of all the various parts included in the kit, numbered and with descriptions to ease discussion.

I know that the eschutcheons (#1) go on top of the legs like normal, the #2 dohickies fit well into the holes on the underside of the sink, #7 slips into the legs and sits on the floor. But I'm baffled about everything else. Possibly all these parts don't need to get used?

Attachments

• lav-legs-wtf.jpg
    lav-legs-wtf.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,498

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
China sinks you do not use parts #6. Cast iron sinks you do not use parts #1 or #2. The other pieces are usually used for all sinks. Which ones don't you know where they go, since they are intuitive as to their locations.

Mcnattyp

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply hj, but I still can't figure it out. I am mechanically inclined, which is why I've turned to this forum for help. I have a china sink. I just tried again to puzzle it out, but I cannot. Any more advice?

Thanks.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It appears to me that the threaded rods combined with the hex nuts provide the height adjustment. The adjusters are to be hidden by the escutcheons.

Mcnattyp

Reaction score
Hm, I had thought the legs would just be cut to size since there is nothing special about either end. The factory end would be at the bottom with the feet while the cut end would be at the top with the escutcheon.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To get a fit that is tight, but still able to be installed, it needs some adjustment. You assembly the leg so it is shorter than required to just fit it in, then turn it, which, if assembled properly, will cause it to get longer and lock it in place. Depending on the length of the tube and the height of the sink, you may need to cut the tube. The eschution hides the adjustment and allows the height adjustment. There was probably a picture on the package that showed it installed...that should give you an idea of how to assemble it.

Mcnattyp

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Jim. Ok, I understand now that there will be threads visible and I'll need to crank some nut somewhere to get it to elongate to lock in place. But like I mentioned in my intial post, there are no instructions or pictures, and I went back to the store to check other packages for instructions to no avail, hence the mystery.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
No, If you do it right, you shouldn't see any threads since that part will be inside of the leg and covered by the eschutions. On the ones I've seen, you don't use a wrench, you turn the body of the leg, either the eschution or the rod, and with the captive nuts on the shart, it gets longer or shorter depending on which way you turn it.

Thread a nut on the rod, see if it fits into the eschution's hex shape. That should give you a starting point.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks