How to install filler and drain when cast iron tub against wall??

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve DIYMan

Reaction score
Hi,

I am working toward installing this cast iron tub:

upload_2017-11-12_17-6-49.png

The filler / drain side of the tub are against a wall.

I can't quite figure out the order of operation to get this done. If I leave enough room to get behind the tub (18" at least), I can access everything- but then the tub is pretty far from the wall which might look odd.

If the tub is close enough to the wall that I can't get behind it I have no idea how to connect everything.

??

I'm clearly not the first person to ever deal with this, but searching the net (and this forum), I can't find anything that addresses the issue.

Any guidance appreciated!

Thanks

Steve DIYMan

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't locate the tub so that you can not reasonably access the supply and drain connections - it's as simple as
that. There is no magic method to evade that requirement. I've installed access panels in the wall so that stuff
can be reached from the room on the other side of the wall.

Steve DIYMan

Reaction score
Don't locate the tub so that you can not reasonably access the supply and drain connections - it's as simple as
that. There is no magic method to evade that requirement. I've installed access panels in the wall so that stuff
can be reached from the room on the other side of the wall.

Unfortunately the tub is against an outside wall. In my previous home we did a remodel (not DIY) and the same tub was about 4-5 inches from the wall (also an outside all). So I assume there is a way to get this done...

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Look at the Virta tub drain and see if that would benefit you in any way. I'll be trying one on my next free-standing tub, rather than cutting the ceiling downstairs. On the faucet, it's impossible to tell you anything useful. The set up depends the brand and how close to the tub it needs to be, etc. My last two were Deltas. The faucets pushed on to a sub-floor rough-in assembly and tightened down. Can't remember how, but you'll need some arm room.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok, the Delta has a bracket that secures to/between the joists. The bracket has two brass stub-ups with three O-rings on each. Four screws stick up from the bracket, and the faucet slides down over the screws and stub-ups and is held down with four nuts. The rectangular trim piece drops down on top of all that. There is a plaster guard of sorts that comes with it to protect the rough-in assembly. I had to dig mine out of the garbage can after considerable eye strain on the directions. Looks like garbage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks