How to install a raised edge copper sink

Users who are viewing this thread

OZ324

Reaction score
I'm trying to finish up this powder room and I'm stuck on the sink.

I re-purposed an old yellow pine table as a vanity. It's a beautiful piece. I'm installing a copper drop in sink that has a rounded raised edge. The hole is cut to the right size but trying to silicone this thing down is almost impossible because of the raised edge profile of the sink. The only part of the sink that touches the top is a thin little edge, the rest of sits about a 1/4 inch off the counter top. Hope this makes sense.

The first picture here is very similar to what I'm working with.
http://cantonantiques.com/antique/furniture/overview?furniture_id=708

I tried silicone and then put a 50lb bag of mortar to weight it down and that really didn't work well. It still doesn't sit flush. Any ideas?

Thanks

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the edge touches the countertop all the way around, that's probably all you're going to get. I'm not sure exactly what the issue is otherwise.
Many sinks come with a fasten-down bit of hardware that holds it in place. You probably don't have that, hence the posting.

Drop-in ceramic sinks are typically dropped into a bed of silicone upon installation, in my experience. The thin metal edge of the sink that you have doesn't have as much "grab", if I'm reading this right.

A ten-pound tub of plumber's putty, rolled into an anaconda, might seal the sucker up for you. Good luck.

Reach4

Reaction score
If the edge did not touch all around during the test fit, adding sealant was not going to make the sink fit lower.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
"The only part that touches the top is the little thin edge" . Is this a good description of how the sink sits on the top?

My great-granddaddy was in Fredericksburg for a while in the 1860's. He survived.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks