How to install a ground wire for an off-grid solar project... located on a dock

Users who are viewing this thread

Bill in FL

Reaction score
So, I've done some searching, but have yet to find a response that has me feeling comfortable.

I've taken it upon myself to build a solar installation on my boat dock. The dock has no access to power from any other source. It is a fixed pier, wooden dock with a metal roof. Less than 1,000 watts of solar panels on the roof.

I need to ground the panels and a number of different components located in the rafters.

I have an electrician I usually go to to help me with projects like this. So far, I've managed to do everything to date. I have been leaving the solar panel to charge controller to battery wiring to the electrician. He hasn't been very available lately. And, this weekend, he's not available again. :( So, I want to do the research to see if I can finish things up myself. At least, I'll buy the parts so he doesn't have to waste the time!

Right now, everything from the battery bank to devices that require power is working. I charge the batteries once a week.

The first question I can't seem to get an answer to has to do with how to ground the system. The water is only a few inches below the decking. It seems like running the grounding wire(s) all the way to shore (50 feet) would not be the shortest path for the current to travel.

I'll stop here before I make myself seem like an idiot. Please be kind! ;-) I'll take any and all advice. I am enjoying this project as a hobby. So, in the spirit of hobbies, I am looking to learn more.

Bill in FL

Reaction score
Thanks. I ended up getting an electrician to help me. We ran #6 copper to land. Two rods 10 feet apart.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks