How to Increase Well Water Pressure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dean Erger

Reaction score
I’d appreciate advice on increasing my water pressure. I have a well system with a very large water storage tank (about 8 ft high and 6 ft in dia., with a 2†outlet pipe). Water from the storage tank goes through a booster pump for pressure, then to a 20 gallon Champion pressure tank (on a “Tâ€) and on to my home. My pressure switch is set at 20/40 psi. My booster pump’s maximum pressure is about 40 psi. If I try to increase the psi of the pressure switch above about 40 psi, my booster pump runs continuously. 40 psi is fine, but 20 psi is too low. 30/50 psi or 40/60 psi would be okay. Constant pressure of about 40 or 50 psi would be even better.

My booster pump is old and the only visible markings are on the motor which say: MagneTek Century AC Motor, Jet Pump Duty, 2 HP, 230 Volts, 3450 RPM. The pump has been taken apart and inspected and it appears to be in good shape.

What are the best options for increasing my water pressure?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
What's to say you could not drop a regular submersible well pump in the storage tank instead of using a booster pump?

Dean Erger

Reaction score
Based on my very limited knowledge, your suggestion might be a problem.

1. If the submersible pump has to flow up and out the top of my storage tank, then I’d have at least 11 feet of exposed pipe from the top of the tank to the ground. There isn’t any electricity near the tank, so keeping the pipe from freezing would be a problem.

2. Even if the submersible pump can flow out the bottom of the tank through the existing outlet,
getting it installed sounds like a difficult, and expensive, job.

My guess was that a new shallow well jet pump would do the job. Maybe something like a 1 hp Red Jacket 100SRJ. It comes with a 30/50 psi pressure switch, but its max pressure is 72 psi. I assume the pressure switch can be adjusted upward to 40/60 psi, but I’m not sure.

To get a constant pressure, maybe I could add a CSV1 Cycle Stop Valve. I think it has a 50 psi pressure output (again I’m not sure).

The info from Red Jacket and Cycle Stop appear to conflict, however. The Red Jacket owner’s manual states: “Do not place valves or filters between the pump and tank, other than a fully open gate valve or “full port” ball valve. The most common ball valves are not full port! Most valves and filters will create excessive friction loss and cause “switch chatter.” http://completewatersystems.com/wp-c...SRJ_DRJIOM.pdf Cycle Stop installation instructions shows a check valve and the Cycle Stop Valve between the pump and tank.

So, my questions are:
1. Is a jet pump the best alternative?
2. If so, can I use a CSV1 Cycle Stop Valve notwithstanding what the Red Jacket owner’s manual says?
3. Is there a better solution?

Edit: In my initial post, when I wrote that I now had a "booster" pump, I didn't mean a particular type of pump. It's actually probably a jet pump or centrifugal pump.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The info from Red Jacket and Cycle Stop appear to conflict, however. The Red Jacket owner’s manual states: “Do not place valves or filters between the pump and tank, other than a fully open gate valve or “full port†ball valve.
The CSV would be fine to use, just move the pressure switch off the pump and place it on the tank Tee.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks