How to get more floor space with new toliets

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumberdude

Reaction score
I need to gain 2-4" of floor space in my tiny bathroom. Installed Am Std Cadet 3 ADA elong toilet (obviously wrong choice). It sticks out way too far for my small bathroom. I now need to buy round front ADA toilet and start over. Rough in is 13 1/4. Was told a 14" RI round front would do the trick however, was told by Am Std rep that all their bowls are the same and they compensate by making the tanks deeper to decrease the space from wall to tank. I don't care if there's a small or big space from wall to tank...it's floor space I need. Surely to goodness there's a solution to my problem...isn't there? My question is this: where do I buy a ADA round front toilet that will sit back further on the floor and give me the critical extra inches I need? Will I end up having to buy an old toilet from some thrift store to get the results I need?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As I understand it, there are very few ADA height round front toilets since in a commercial location, an ADA needs to be elongated...lots of luck on that.

The only toilet manufacturer that actually moves the toilet location without changing the tank for 10, 12, and 14" rough-ins, is Toto, and then only on the models that use the UniFit adapter. The 14" toilets that use the Unifit typically have 3/4" behind them so, it would be a friction fit with your rough-in...so, when you look at the spec sheets for those, it would project 3/4" less, since your flange is not a proper 14". There are several one and two-piece toilets in the Toto line that use that adapter - two of them are the Vespin and Carlyle (2 and 1-piece respectively - I have one of each). There are others. Check their website www.totousa.com.

The only Toto that uses the UniFit adapter that is also ADA height is the (new) Ryohan. It's a pricey toilet - a lot more than most of their toilets. To solve your problem, you may need to either forgo the ADA height or move the flange. The Aquia is fairly compact, but with that rough-in, might stick out too far.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The Toto models with the Unifit adapter would be a good choice.
They have models that extend about 27" out from the wall.

Plumberdude

Reaction score
more floor space

Correct me if I'm wrong but, according to all the info I've been given ToTo is the only toilet that can be moved forward and/or backward to gain floor space. Is this correct? Is that because the "footprint" is smaller than other brand toilets or because of the Unifit? How does the Unifit work...and will it work for any toilet?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The Toto Unifit models use the same toilet for 10, 12, & 14 inch roughs but use a different Unifit Adapter for each of the roughs. The length of the adapter changes so the positioning of the toilet in relation to the flange changes. The toilet remains the same size and does not have a huge tank to fill the space.

unifit_1.jpg

Last edited:

Plumberdude

Reaction score
I got it. Again, is the Unifit for Toto ONLY...or will it work with other brands?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The Uni-Fit Adapter only fits the Toto Unifit Toilets.

I found the picture searching this site using "Uni-fit"

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
And, only the Toto toilets specifically designed for the Unifit adapter can use it; they make numerous others that don't. Because of the size and shape, the toilet requires a 'skirt' design to hide the adapter. Personally, I like this since it makes the toilet lines cleaner, and thus easier to clean (fewer nooks and crannies to accumulate dust and crud).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks