How to fix this delta shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

Onkar Sharma

Reaction score
IMG_20200923_175716595.jpg

Hi all,
I bought my home 3 years ago and have not yet dealt with this Delta shower. The issue is that it is installed backwards. The cold is really hot and when I move it towards hot, it becomes cooler. However, it never turns really cold.
So it is dangerous and the bathroom is useless in summer when the water is so hot that it is unusable.

Any idea on how to proceed. I see 2 screws on the faceplate and a hidden screw on the handle to undo the trim. Should I undo these screws to see what is underneath?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Here is the cartridge chart for Delta

delta-cartridge-summary.jpg

RP19804 on reversed hot
CAUTION! Pull off the RLS (A) and note the position of the raised stop (C) on the cap assembly that says “hot side”. The cartridge must always be put back in this same position. The raised stop should always be located on the hot water inlet side so cold water will flow first. For normal installations, the raised stop will be on the left.

rp19804-terrylove-02.jpg

rp19804-terrylove-03.jpg

Last edited:

Onkar Sharma

Reaction score
Here is the cartridge chart for Delta

delta-cartridge-summary.jpg

RP19804 on reversed hot
CAUTION! Pull off the RLS (A) and note the position of the raised stop (C) on the cap assembly that says “hot side”.The cartridge must always be put back in this same position. The raised stop should always be located on the hot water inlet side so cold water will flow first. For normal installations, the raised stop will be on the left.

Thanks for the information. It would seem I have the old RP19804. I took out the cartridge. Turned it 180 degree and reinstalled it. Seems to have solved the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks