How to fix leaky lead joint...simply

Users who are viewing this thread

FatDaddy

Reaction score
While removing the brass cap that was absolutely frozen in place on a four inch waste cast iron waste line,the joints were disturbed and now leak a bit.
What is the best method, short of digging out the lead (and possibly oakum?) to seal the leaks?
Epoxy putty?
Heavy duty caulk? (If so, brands?)
SUGRU? I have had luck with that product in the past for other applications. Pretty good stuff.
The drips are minor but I have to attend to them.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• P1020155.JPG
    P1020155.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 344
  • P1020156.JPG
    P1020156.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 337

Reach4

Reaction score
Consider a long-experienced plumber with a set of caulking irons. Or you could do a lot of reading and use a big blunt screwdriver, but somebody practiced may be a good investment.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Normally a caulked joint can be easily repaired by just use a packing iron then trimming the joint . Very seldom do they require burning out and repacking with oakum and pouring lead

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks